Whatbird Community

2023 Year Lists

Zoroark

I'm up to 90 species now. This morning I finally drove the 40+ minutes to the spot in my county which has been hosting Northern Shovelers. Shortly after I arrived, I ran into three birders and while we were talking a Killdeer then a Sharp-shinned Hawk flew over -- two year birds. I eventually walked the quarter mile to the pond with the shovelers, and saw them, for my third and 'target' year bird.

• Like 5

I've pared back the trips "abroad" to bird this year, but still 3rd best YTD number (55).  Still pretty far behind my 2 best years (70/67), the past two.  5 FOY today with my easiest find of the downtown Peregrine as it was on the building when I pulled in to the parking lot.  

• Like 4

I drove to the other side of my county on this warm, sunny day. Temperatures went from 65F/18C when I started birding to about 80F/27C when I went home. I was hoping to see a couple of species which are locally uncommon for the county, and maybe four other species. My two 'target' species were not around, but I did see one of the other four species: a pair of American Kestrels. So I am up to 93 species for the year. Maaaaybe I'll hit 100 species by the end of the month, but I'll settle for 95.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Peromyscus said:

I drove to the other side of my county on this warm, sunny day. Temperatures went from 65F/18C when I started birding to about 80F/27C when I went home. I was hoping to see a couple of species which are locally uncommon for the county, and maybe four other species. My two 'target' species were not around, but I did see one of the other four species: a pair of American Kestrels. So I am up to 93 species for the year. Maaaaybe I'll hit 100 species by the end of the month, but I'll settle for 95.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a bad day today.  5 FOY.  Couldn't find the Snow Buntings reported yesterday, but looked in another spot, and there were just a few there.  I put 500 as the count, but I think once I count from pics it will approach 1000 of them.  To top it off I just happened to notice a couple of dark shapes up in a tree overlooking the field.  One nice golden nape was visible for a FOY Golden Eagle.  61 for the year, is 1 behind 3rd best start.  Not bad considering how little beyond the yard biridng I've done.  

Edited by chipperatl
  • Like 6

Not a bad day today.  6 FOY for the yard, 1 of which was FOY for the County.  2 more FOY with my earliest record of American Woodcock the day after another birder had the first Feb record of them.  3 different places had them tonight.  Also FOY Common Grackle, finally.  

• Like 4

In search of White-crowned Sparrow and American Pipit. Again. No success. Again.

But, I did hear and fleetingly see a singing Eastern Meadowlark, and a hunting Peregrine Falcon for two year birds. And, I saw an adult male Northern Harrier and an Eastern Phoebe, each my second of the year. 97 species for me now, and I'm still ahead of last year.

• Like 3

A quick visit to one of my favourite spots that I haven't been to this year gave me a few species, which brought me up to the same number I started with because I forgot I'd been there on Jan 6 and seen those species there already. Not much birding lately so still at 69 for the year. 

• Like 5