Whatbird Community

The Weather Topic

18 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Good time for seawatches!

I assume it's similar to pelagics getting pushed on shore by hurricanes on the Atlantic and Gulf coasts.  You don't like to see the conditions occurring but there's no reason not to take safe advantage of them.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 3

Surprisingly, given the recent storms, I haven’t seen anything staggering in terms of numbers or rare birds. Admittedly, I haven’t check the Pt. Pinos (Monterey County) seawatch numbers…that’s usually the place they get unbelievable seawatches with extreme weather such as this, but I’m not sure if the winds were the right direction. 

On the personal front, as a school principal, the significant storms, and the flooding, power outages, and unsafe travel, combined with lots of indoor recess, has made for a slightly bumpy start to the New Year. That’s about it.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Surprisingly, given the recent storms, I haven’t seen anything staggering in terms of numbers or rare birds. Admittedly, I haven’t check the Pt. Pinos (Monterey County) seawatch numbers…that’s usually the place they get unbelievable seawatches with extreme weather such as this, but I’m not sure if the winds were the right direction. 

On the personal front, as a school principal, the significant storms, and the flooding, power outages, and unsafe travel, combined with lots of indoor recess, has made for a slightly bumpy start to the New Year. That’s about it.

This brings me to my question I’ve had for a while, what are “good” conditions for seawatches? Thanks!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, IKLland said:

This brings me to my question I’ve had for a while, what are “good” conditions for seawatches? Thanks!

It really depends on the geographical orientation of the location you are seawatching from. There is not necessarily a one-size-fits-all rule, but strong onshore winds in major storm events tend to push pelagic species towards the shore and inland. In Monterey, birds that get pushed into the bay then make their way back out past the point, which can turn magical on the right day.

Hurricanes and other storms systems can impact birds in odd and significant ways too. This article is super wild, and yet not quite a “seawatch” considering it was the middle of the desert. Sorry for reposting if I have already linked this before.

https://ebird.org/news/newtonarizona

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

For all things weather, especially as related to birding.

So, Californians, how are those atmospheric rivers treating you?

We’ve (San Luis Obispo County) has been getting pounded by rain the last 2 days. Since October 1st, we’ve had anywhere from 20-25 inches of rain, which is about 15 inches more than usual.

• Like 2

Kinda warm here, low 30s in the mornings, and high 70s in the afternoon. It has thrown a bit of a loop in the birding. The height of  bird activity seems to be from 10-11AM instead of shortly after sunrise. 

Oh, and of course dry, always dry. 

2023-01-09 18.02.28 www.wunderground.com 9b4af13d2617.jpg

• Like 2

Total crap for the last almost 2 months here in Michigan.  We have had more days of winds from south than I can ever remember.  Only two real snow storms, and those didn't last very long on the ground.  Lakes froze over quick with the freeze and storm right before Christmas, so everything moved on quickly.  They have opened back up now, but there isn't really much being reported.  

• Sad 2

26 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

Total crap for the last almost 2 months here in Michigan.  We have had more days of winds from south than I can ever remember.  Only two real snow storms, and those didn't last very long on the ground.  Lakes froze over quick with the freeze and storm right before Christmas, so everything moved on quickly.  They have opened back up now, but there isn't really much being reported.  

In west Texas visitors ask, "Does the wind blow like this all the time?" The answer is "No, sometimes it blows from another direction. "

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, BirdNrd said:

Just got word that it's so bad here they just cancelled school tomorrow! In the past hour there's probably been an inch and a half of rain.

We only cancel school if there is no power to start the day. Do you have to make that day up at the end of the year?

7 hours ago, DLecy said:

We only cancel school if there is no power to start the day. Do you have to make that day up at the end of the year?

In SC, the missed days are supposed to be made up.  However, the law allows school districts to request to NOT make up the days, and I remember the legislature always approving those requests.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Birds are cool said:

We have not gotten any bad weather, but I have got a bunch of birds and high counts. Two days ago I saw 75 Pine Warblers over the high count, and yesterday I saw 50 Chipping Sparrows over the high count! The birds are also very active, and make for some great photos.

Nice! Unfortunately I’m not getting much variety right now, this checklist has basically all the birds I see on it. 
https://ebird.org/checklist/S125618099

Edited by Snake Fingers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Snake Fingers said:

I can’t tell if you’re joking or not, but that seems a little warm for me. Of course, I would prefer it to our(county/state) current weather though.

No, I wasn't joking, I thing 86 is beautiful weather, wish we had it year round. 

• Like 2