Whatbird Community

The Weather Topic

4 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

NASCAR fans are watching the Fontana forecast with interest.  So far, just rain Saturday.

It may just be rain, but ...

Today
Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. New precipitation amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.
Tonight
Rain, with thunderstorms also possible after 10pm. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.
Saturday
Rain and possibly a thunderstorm. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible. [or three quarters and one inch possible right at the speedway]
Saturday Night
Rain likely, mainly before 10pm. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

5 hours ago, Aaron said:

Yup, long-haired miniature dachshund. She turned 12 in October

I was in the waiting room at the vet with one of our short-haireds a few decades ago.  We were there for shots and annual check. The lady beside me ask what was wrong with Lucy, why her face was that color.  Except for her ears, the 14-year-old weiner's head was pure white, not a trace of red remaining.

They're hard-headed little things!

• Like 2

On 1/9/2023 at 1:38 PM, DLecy said:

It really depends on the geographical orientation of the location you are seawatching from. There is not necessarily a one-size-fits-all rule, but strong onshore winds in major storm events tend to push pelagic species towards the shore and inland. In Monterey, birds that get pushed into the bay then make their way back out past the point, which can turn magical on the right day.

Hurricanes and other storms systems can impact birds in odd and significant ways too. This article is super wild, and yet not quite a “seawatch” considering it was the middle of the desert. Sorry for reposting if I have already linked this before.

https://ebird.org/news/newtonarizona

I really need to learn more about winds. Is an onshore wind when the wind is blowing toward the shore, or where it’s blowing from the shore out to the ocean?

• Like 2

This morning on my walk I saw a pair of Wood Ducks in a local park stream. The nearby American Robins were all fluffed out in the 35F-degree cold, which is at least 15 degrees F colder than that time yesterday.

eta: It's snowing lightly here in Maryland. I can't see the snow sticking though, seeing as how it was sunny and in the 40s yesterday.

Edited by Peromyscus
  • Like 3

It briefly snowed here! We’re only at 500 ft of elevation. However, it’s 50 degrees F here, with a real feel of 42, so maybe it’s  hail? Im not good with there temps necessary for snow. It is super windy though, with wind gusts up to 37 mph.

• Like 2