Whatbird Community

The Weather Topic

• 3 months later...
35 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

You ain't from 'round heah, is you, boy?

Nothing like being able to inhale your daily requirement of fiber.

Nope. I'm used to dew points getting up to 75F though I suppose when it passes 90F air temperature the dew point temperature could approach 80F.

I read (if I recall correctly) that people from eg. Montana (a non-humid place) find 50F dew point temperatures uncomfortable. Around DC I don't think I even notice humidity until the dew point is around or above 65F.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Peromyscus said:

I read (if I recall correctly) that people from eg. Montana (a non-humid place) find 50F dew point temperatures uncomfortable.

Back in my National Guard days, we did a couple of annual training periods ("summer camp") at Ft. Leavenworth, KS.  We were supporting units from MN and WI.  Someone organized a volleyball tournament.  The KS heat was warmer than those MN and WI boys could handle.  The temps were less than what we were used to in SC, but the biggest difference was the greatly reduced humidity.  We couldn't play very well and usually fell behind early.  By mid-game the northern boys were getting tired and we'd cruise past them.  We finally lost in the semis to a unit from somewhere else in the coastal southeast.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Those are the summer low temps and humidity readings around here!

I'll say, we go months sometimes without see anything in the 60's for the low, forget it being the high. 

• Like 1

Lately I’ve realized how poorly I handle hot weather(80F right now), 60s? Absolutely. 70-80s? I’ll pass. I just get sweaty and exhausted and not in the birding spirit, and then there’s bugs. If I just chill on a bench or something then I won’t get overheated(usually). The thing with colder weather is that you can usually bundle up and be fine, with warm weather there’s really T-shirt and shorts and then you’re done. I’m just rambling right now but yeah.

Edited by Snake Fingers
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Snake Fingers said:

Lately I’ve realized how poorly I handle hot weather(80F right now), 60s? Absolutely. 70-80s? I’ll pass. I just get sweaty and exhausted and not in the birding spirit, and then there’s bugs. If I just chill on a bench or something then I won’t get overheated(usually). The thing with colder weather is that you can usually bundle up and be fine, with warm weather there’s really T-shirt and shorts and then you’re done. I’m just rambling right now but yeah.

I would take 70s all day! The funny thing is that my family is getting the same temp. in GA. (I'm in Bama on a church camp.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snake Fingers said:

(Chuckles at the thought of getting overheated in the 70s)

I fully admit though, I am a wimp in cold weather. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Peromyscus said:

79.2F dew point is *slightly* humid??? 😲 💦💦

Looking at the chart, some glitch happened at 9am, which caused the report of 1% and -32 for a few minutes, but other than that it is correct.

2023-06-14 21.27.12 www.wunderground.com 9bda6bb24e18.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Birds are cool said:

The thing with colder weather is that you can usually bundle up and be fine,

8 hours ago, Kevin said:

I fully admit though, I am a wimp in cold weather.

My feet get cold and then I'm miserable.  I don't enjoy 90+ but I'll take it over less than 35 every time.

• Like 1

I think 20 is the perfect temp.  No bugs and no melting means I can snowmobile or hike anywhere 🙂

I am off to chase some birds tomorrow and do not care so much about the temps as the rain.  Got my new camera 2 weeks ago and it has not stopped raining. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1