Whatbird Community

The Weather Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly what kind of wind rips the tops of trees out, strips the leaves off half the trees, picks limbes up and throws them over your house, 60 yards away from the tree they came out of, tears off 10-12 inch diameter limbs, but leaves a piece of chimney, that is standing on end and could by knocked over by a mouse, standing only twenty feet from a tree that half the top is missing?20231005_133016.thumb.jpg.b6744b842e6bab11247fd36be6f122fd.jpg

• Haha 2

Speaking of tornados, I've never seen one other then a waterspout so don't have much experience with them. I took this video a few years ago & suspected that it was a tornado trying to form. I've posted it in a couple different places & haven't received a reply. Was wondering if anyone here might know, is this the beginnings of a tornado or just oddly shaped clouds?

1 hour ago, stitch58 said:

Speaking of tornados, I've never seen one other then a waterspout so don't have much experience with them. I took this video a few years ago & suspected that it was a tornado trying to form. I've posted it in a couple different places & haven't received a reply. Was wondering if anyone here might know, is this the beginnings of a tornado or just oddly shaped clouds?

I think those are oddly shaped clouds.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Looks like everyone is getting a taste of weather from the current storms. We've gotten about 10-15cm/4-6in of snow so far today, with rain mixed in which made the shoveling heavy. The snow is supposed to turn to straight rain so I'm glad the bulk of the shoveling got done before the snow gets any heavier. I hope everyone else is staying dry and warm as winter makes an ugly appearance.

Edited by lonestranger
  • Like 1

Cold weather is supposed to be hitting in a few days. (5f-20f) the wind is already here blasting everything in it's way. There is a slight chance of precipitation, which here usually means an ice storm. 

4 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Cold front dragging warm soggy air up from the Gulf and across much of the southeast.  High winds (gusts to 50+), scattered T-storm and tornado warnings, with flash flood warnings for good measure.  Forecast to start easing here in SC shortly.

We have it much milder in middle ga. Winds of 10-25 miles an hour with thunder storms, and tornado watch. Rained all day, though still got rare Merlin and a Brown Creeper. Both FOYs

12 hours ago, lonestranger said:

A good majority of today's snowfall has already melted and the rain and mild temperatures overnight should take care of the rest of the snow before the temperatures drop back below freezing again. 🤞 

Yeah, weather is pretty much the same here. Quite a lot of the snow melted last night, hopefully it won't freeze tonight and give us an ice layer...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Yeah, weather is pretty much the same here. Quite a lot of the snow melted last night, hopefully it won't freeze tonight and give us an ice layer...

I misjudged the overnight melting rate and woke up to a crust of snow still in the yard with the temperatures already down to freezing and dropping lower throughout the day. Thankfully the snowplow didn't leave a bunch of snow at the end of the driveway that would surely be a tough shoveling chunk of ice by now.

• Like 3

We were getting rain this morning on top of last night's 10cm/4in of snow but everything has calmed down right now. Looks like I have some heavy shoveling to do early this morning(now) if I want to get the snow off the decks and walkways before the deep freeze moves in and turns it all to ice. I hate snowfalls like this, not enough snow to bring out the snowblower but too much wet snow to just ignore it. 

Stay safe everyone, and look out for those that might need some extra help because of the weather.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

We were getting rain this morning on top of last night's 10cm/4in of snow but everything has calmed down right now. Looks like I have some heavy shoveling to do early this morning(now) if I want to get the snow off the decks and walkways before the deep freeze moves in and turns it all to ice. I hate snowfalls like this, not enough snow to bring out the snowblower but too much wet snow to just ignore it. 

Why I live in the southeastern US.

• Like 1

The snow was deeper than I originally thought. While the decks had about 10cm/4in of wet snow, the path to the storage container where I keep my firewood had the same amount of snow, but it was sitting on top of a couple of inches of totally saturated slush. More snow started falling before the shoveling was done, but it shouldn't be as heavy shoveling.  🤞

All this talk of shoveling snow reminds me...The local hardware store got a little ambitious this fall and got "snow pushers". It snows like once every five years. Like you look outside and go, I think it snowed, or is that just frost?

20231212_105924.jpg

• Haha 3