Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Not sure, 1/13/23 Seneca Falls NY


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Kevin said:

Why not? I would in person, so why not online as well?

Well, your preference is certainly a good reason to use Mr. and Ms., and Mx. if it seems indicated.  And you could restrict it to people whose age, gender, and surname you're reasonably sure of.

You might not be the only one who's comfortable that way.  On the other hand, some might find it uncomfortable, "like school" or "like my first job".  On the other hand, I like an informal atmosphere, especially in a situation like this that's about learning and helping people learn in ways that have nothing to do with age, status, college degrees, or anything else that goes with conventional social respect.

Anyway, it's not a big deal, and I'm not trying to talk you out of it.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Well, your preference is certainly a good reason to use Mr. and Ms., and Mx. if it seems indicated.  And you could restrict it to people whose age, gender, and surname you're reasonably sure of.

You might not be the only one who's comfortable that way.  On the other hand, some might find it uncomfortable, "like school" or "like my first job".  On the other hand, I like an informal atmosphere, especially in a situation like this that's about learning and helping people learn in ways that have nothing to do with age, status, college degrees, or anything else that goes with conventional social respect.

Anyway, it's not a big deal, and I'm not trying to talk you out of it.

I suppose it is that I'm tired that first word you hear out of someone, is the f word. It seem so many people are just unfriendly and or plain out rude now days. Nobody seems to have any respect for anybody, guess I'm just trying to turn that the other direction a little. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

I suppose it is that I'm tired that first word you hear out of someone, is the f word. It seem so many people are just unfriendly and or plain out rude now days. Nobody seems to have any respect for anybody, guess I'm just trying to turn that the other direction a little. 

@Kevin, I am proud of you for being who you are. I agree with your assessment of todays society 100%. There seems to be a very depressing lack of respect for other people by way too many people nowadays! I use 'Sir' and 'Ma'am' every day to people who are younger than me (which most people are!). I wish more people, especially the younger generations, would follow your example. I think we would have a much better society if there was more mutual respect. Keep up the good work!!!

Edited by Bird Brain
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Kevin said:

Why not? I would in person, so why not online as well?

 

14 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I was a military brat, then Army myself.  Everyone gets a "Sir" or a "Ma'am".  If I get it wrong or or that's not preferred, there was no offense intended.

I'm not sure if I should be offended or not, I don't recall ever being referred to as Mr. or Sir. 😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, lonestranger said:

 

I'm not sure if I should be offended or not, I don't recall ever being referred to as Mr. or Sir. 😆

Personally, I don't care for titles associated with my name. I don't even let my nieces and nephews call me Uncle Glen, the Uncle part is a descriptive title to explain the family relationship to others, it's not part of my name. I drove my point home when I started calling my brothers children by title, Nephew A, and Niece B, everytime they called me Uncle Glen. I prefer titles to be used when talking about me, I prefer it to be more personal and just my name used when someone is talking to me. Call me Mr Mercer just once, and I will quickly tell you that my name is Glen, not Mr..  So don't worry about offending me by not adding a title to my name, but don't be offended if I don't add a title to your name. It's not a lack of respect, I just find titles somewhat cold and impersonal. No offense intended Mr Spencer, Sir.?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow! It seems like you can't win. If someone is trying to be respectful (and not snarky) I will never have any objections to that. We are all different ages and from different backgrounds here, and I think some tolerance for variation in what feels kind, appropriate, and respectful is in order. And I don't think it's reasonable to expect everyone to follow your non-standard preferences in a forum like this!

(I definitely have been referred to as "mister" and didn't appreciate that; but I never take offense if someone calls me Miss, Ma'am, Señora, or Doña. In fleeting interactions it just doesn't matter, and again it's just someone trying to be polite. In long-term relationships there's plenty of opportnity to make your preferences known.)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...