Whatbird Community

Chipping sparrow?!?!

I believe if you read the home page for Ebird it states to not list birds unless you physically see it your self. Specifically says not to list birds seen on wildlife cameras unless you saw it live. Doesn’t make much sense to me since they are looking for accurate data...but whatever! 🤦🏼‍♂️

From a data standpoint, I agree, especially if it's your own camera and it has an accurate date, time, and location. Although, I can also see how from a birding/sporting perspective, using game cam observations wouldn't really be fair. Thank you guys for your help!

Maybe it's a question of someone screwing with the images before the camera owner gets a chance to see them?  Just a guess.

I'd do an eBird Incidental and include the image and details.  It probably won't survive the vetting process and they'll flag it so it won't be visible to other users, or for  species history or count.  However, it will still be visible to you and you'll still have it for your personal life list.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
3 hours ago, TooFly said:

Ps...what type of camera are you using? Is it video or still image? And is it motion activated? I’m thinking about getting one. Would you recommend yours? Or a different camera?

I’m using a Bushnell Essential E2 and considering that it’s my very first cam, I’m having a lot of fun with it! It’s motion activated, can take videos and stills, and has night vision. It was a birthday gift and I’ve only had it for about a month now, but I would recommend it based on my experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Maybe it's a question of someone screwing with the images before the camera owner gets a chance to see them?  Just a guess.

I'd do an eBird Incidental and include the image and details.  It probably won't survive the vetting process and they'll flag it so it won't be visible to other users, or for  species history or count.  However, it will still be visible to you and you'll still have it for your personal life list.

Thank you, I submitted it as incidental with the pictures and made a note that it was from a cam 🙂

• Like 1