Whatbird Community

I'm so excited.  I have a new camera on the way.  It has the full set up. filters, several different size lenses and a whole cornucopia of bells and whistles.  It's a Canon EOS Rebel T6 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm IS II Lens + Professional Bundle. Ever since my house burned down along with my camera I've had no way to get pics.  Got my settlement from insurance so I thought I would splurge a bit.  The doctor has turned my illness around.  I told people on here I probably wouldn't live past Christmas but my health is improving and I can get outdoors again.  I'm tired of being in this darn bed.  I've been set up for physical therapy three times a week.  It's going to be hard on me but it means I can walk again so I'm excited.  This has been the most blessed Christmas I've had in years.  First I was going to lose my leg then they said my health was deteriorating rapidly and my outlook didn't look that great and now I'm on the mend.  Got a new aggressive proactive doctor and things are getting so much better.  The camera is supposed to get here before Christmas so this is my christmas gift to me.  You'll probably be getting pictures of  white-crowns, House Finches and a stray crow or two in the next couple of weeks.  Depending on my mobility.  Please suffer this fool kindly.  I've had a rough couple of years and I need a break.

• Like 8

Had my first physical therapy.  O.O  I've found out it's an incorrect spelling for the word torture.  Anyway, my camera will be here on Christmas Eve.  I get my very own Santa delivery.  I hope Santa isn't salty about having to deliver on Christmas Eve.  I'll leave out some milk and cookies... and some Rumchata eggnog. 

Edited by Totah Sam

Great to hear you are getting better and better! Taking some good pics using your new camera would be a good therapy.

• Like 1

Can't wait to see the results of you playing with your new toy! 

If the physical therapist makes you hate them, then that means they're a good one! 

• Like 1

Got it yesterday.  The UPS driver was a cheerful young man and it was a pleasure interacting with him.  He was the perfect Santa.   I am reading through the manual and getting to know my new baby.  I was so excited when I opened the front door today and birds were everywhere.  It's like they know and are queuing for glamour shots.  I saw a bird the other day that I want get a gander at again.  It was sitting on a flat topped utility pole outside my kitchen window and bobbing up and down like an American Pipit.  By the time I grabbed my binoculars to get a clear view it was gone.  I will get a pic if it's the second-to-the-last thing I do. O.O

• Like 2

My first picture.  I'm so happy.  I was in the kitchen and i heard the familiar gobble of my neighborhood trespassers.  

turkeyinthestraw

They have no respect for private property.  Shameful.  😛

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Totah Sam said:

My first picture.  I'm so happy.  I was in the kitchen and i heard the familiar gobble of my neighborhood trespassers.  

turkeyinthestraw

They have no respect for private property.  Shameful.  😛

You need to put up a sign..."Trespassers Will Be Shot"...with a camera of course!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Totah Sam said:

Good heavens. This snow storm.  I haven't seen the like in decades.  This will curtail my bird stalking activity significantly. O.O

mypoorcar

Please send it here!  We have only a slight dusting. 😥

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:32 PM, Totah Sam said:

I'm so excited.  I have a new camera on the way.  It has the full set up. filters, several different size lenses and a whole cornucopia of bells and whistles.  It's a Canon EOS Rebel T6 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm IS II Lens + Professional Bundle. Ever since my house burned down along with my camera I've had no way to get pics.  Got my settlement from insurance so I thought I would splurge a bit.  The doctor has turned my illness around.  I told people on here I probably wouldn't live past Christmas but my health is improving and I can get outdoors again.  I'm tired of being in this darn bed.  I've been set up for physical therapy three times a week.  It's going to be hard on me but it means I can walk again so I'm excited.  This has been the most blessed Christmas I've had in years.  First I was going to lose my leg then they said my health was deteriorating rapidly and my outlook didn't look that great and now I'm on the mend.  Got a new aggressive proactive doctor and things are getting so much better.  The camera is supposed to get here before Christmas so this is my christmas gift to me.  You'll probably be getting pictures of  white-crowns, House Finches and a stray crow or two in the next couple of weeks.  Depending on my mobility.  Please suffer this fool kindly.  I've had a rough couple of years and I need a break.

I almost take photos from my parked car, exclusively, for the last 5 years due to mobility issues.  Guess what?  The easiest are bird photos taken from the driver's side window.  Learn how to maneuver your car to do this.  Go out alone and put all of your equipment on the passenger seat for easy access.  Push the side view mirror back and raise your driver's seat higher, if you can.  Go out on Sunday mornings.  Look for businesses/schools (not open on Sundays) with lots or roads that border woods where you can park parallel to the edge, driver's side closest.  One of my favorite spots is a community college (birds and wildlife used to seeing vehicles) not open on Sundays (so no students on campus) surrounded by woods.  If you go on vacation, look for wildlife refuges with an auto loop where you can pull up alongside ponds (you want to be parallel to the edge not shooting through the windshield) and roads through swampy and forested areas.  There is a National Wildlife Refuge brochure with a guide for every refuge in every state that says if they have an auto loop sometimes called a wildlife drive.  You will also learn that shooting from a seated position in a sedan, for example, gives you great flower and butterfly shots in warm weather.  Scout local lakes, State and County parks, too, to find out which ones are best for you to be taking photos from a vehicle.  Good luck with your health and your new camera.

Edited by LauraC
  • Like 2

Second major storm is hitting us right now.  It's stacking up to be worse than the first storm. It just started and this is my car again:

IMG_0025 (2)

My nephew brushed the car off after the first storm a couple of days ago.  And now we're back to this and the storm hasn't even really hit us yet.  Oh New Mexico. You fickle creature.  All I wanted to do was stalk and invade the privacy of our local bird population.  

Edited by Totah Sam

On 12/30/2018 at 12:19 PM, LauraC said:

The easiest are bird photos taken from the driver's side window.

I have a favorite pond on my commute home where I like to stop and see what's paddling.  Unfortunately, turning the car around isn't an option on this divided highway.

More to the point, I've notice that shooting out the passenger side window pretty much requires disabling any automatic modes on my Panasonic.  Having the roof overhead creates a dark zone that's often very different from the lighting outside the car.  The sensors pick up the amount of light in the interior of the car, and the software makes less-than-optimal decisions based on those readings.

Yeah, I know some of y'all disabled every automatic setting as soon as the camera booted the first time, but some of us still get better quality that way than futzing with ISO and white balance.

On 12/29/2018 at 6:19 PM, Totah Sam said:

Good heavens. This snow storm.  I haven't seen the like in decades.  This will curtail my bird stalking activity significantly. O.O

mypoorcar

That's heavy snow! We will be driving this weekend to MI for a family celebration, just finishing the installation of the new set of tires, bestop tonneau cover, and new brake pads. Got to be prepared for the snow there. Keep safe there.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2018 at 1:11 PM, Totah Sam said:

Second major storm is hitting us right now.  It's stacking up to be worse than the first storm. It just started and this is my car again:

IMG_0025 (2)

My nephew brushed the car off after the first storm a couple of days ago.  And now we're back to this and the storm hasn't even really hit us yet.  Oh New Mexico. You fickle creature.  All I wanted to do was stalk and invade the privacy of our local bird population.  

Feel free to send some our way! It's been years since we've seen anything but flurries. My kids would be ecstatic.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, meghann said:

Feel free to send some our way! It's been years since we've seen anything but flurries. My kids would be ecstatic.

The kid in me (what's left of it), not to mention the adult in me, would be ecstatic as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, meghann said:

3 minutes ago, HamRHead said:

The kid in me (what's left of it), not to mention the adult in me, would be ecstatic as well.

Scrap that.  Y'all keep that white s...tuff over on your side of the Savannah River.  It's not the snow itself I mind, it's the required temperatures.  I live in SC for a few reasons, and relatively warm temperatures are top of the list.

It is fun to watch people brawl over the last loaf of white bread at Wally, though.  It could be the end of civilization and the locals still wouldn't buy whole wheat.  I swear, the last storm they bought all the white hamburger and hot dog buns and there were still loaves of whole wheat left on the shelves.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Scrap that.  Y'all keep that white s...tuff over on your side of the Savannah River.  It's not the snow itself I mind, it's the required temperatures.  I live in SC for a few reasons, and relatively warm temperatures are top of the list.

Dude, we need some good COLD weather. Part of the reason why the mosquitos have been so epically bad is that we've had such mild winters lately.

As long as it's SNOW, amd not another ice storm, which is what I'm worried is going to happen.

It dipped down to 1 degree F last night.  Hasn't been above 20 today.  AND it's supposed to be colder tonight.  I could feel the cold radiating off the walls.  My windows had ice half way up the panes.  I only remember one time that temps dipped down this low and that was 30 to 40 years ago. It was -10 here and - 40 in Gallup.  Same year I saw the Aurora Borealis.  We were coming back from a ceremony in Gallup heading north to Shiprock and my dad pulled over and woke us up. We stood out in the cold for over an hour watching the show.  It was beautiful. I will always be grateful to my dad for that.  First time I ever felt wonder and awe.  

Anyway, enough of the trip down amnesia lane.  We have over a foot on the ground and thankful for every drop of snow.  We've been in a drought for over 10 years and the summer forest fires are devastating.  So much habitat gone.  

• Like 1