Whatbird Community

How to become an Ebird regional reviewer?

On eBird, if an individual reports too many unfounded unlikely observations, all that really happens is their reports don't end up on the rare bird alert. They may or may not still show up on the Top 100 and their data may or may not show up on public output (e.g., Species Maps). This is almost a last resort, though, and it happens very, very infrequently. The guilty party would have to flagrantly ignore all prior gentle recommendations before action is taken. Like chipperatl said, the user may not have malicious intent because they believe their IDs to be correct, but it disrupts the usability and some may argue the credibility of eBird.

If an individual has been shadow-banned, they should know the eBird reviewers know their name and reputation well because they've had extensive discussions about what action should be taken.

• Like 5

I've suggested three.  One of them wasn't accepted and in hindsight, I shouldn't have suggested it.  One was declared fairly quickly.  I'm waiting to hear on the third that I suggested a couple of months ago.  It's a popular, productive spot but someone told me there are property issues.

And now that site is a hotspot.  Apparently someone else suggested it, since the name isn't the one I use.  I've merged my personal location into it.

• Like 2

And now that site is a hotspot.  Apparently someone else suggested it, since the name isn't the one I use.  I've merged my personal location into it.

It could be that the hotspot reviewer just changed the name before approving it.

This happened to me recently - I'd suggested a boat ramp within National Forest boundaries, but because there's a mish mash of private and public property within the National Forest as well as a number of different organisations running boat ramps, it was renamed to a more generic name based on the river rather than including the National Forest in the name like I'd suggested.

I was curious why one individual had rare birds showing up beside them in the top 100 despite never receiving an email notification in the daily alert. Guess they were shadow banned. 

Their normal species/lists/photos still show up publicly, but there’s almost no way to find their reported rare birds (talking megas here) even if you search up their name in media and select unconfirmed. Only way to view those species/photos is if you find the checklist that they reported it on. 

• Like 1

Shadow banning is quite rare, at least on a per-birder/per-checklist basis, meaning I can think of a few examples where I have known this to happen, but the vast majority of observations and observers thankfully do not fall in this category. 

@Aaron, this person you mention has photos of megas and they aren’t confirmed? Are they primarily misidentifications? Just curious.

• Like 3

@Avery

@chipperatl I see you have never had the pleasure of meeting birders who take listing VERY seriously, even keeping rare birds from others to boost their stats. Fortunately that’s is a very rare thing. 

Have had the experience with one that didn't even list.  I call it the "Drama Mama".  Spotted Redshank.  I think the listserve messages might be gone from that time.  It was crazy.  The birder posted pics of the bird on Surfbirds (I think), and his Flickr account.  He never mentioned it on the listserve, despite being active on it.  That caused a scramble of birders trying to hit up any possible spot for it.  He then went on a tirade about people spying on him.  It was the nuttiest thing I have ever seen in birding.  

#5 on this list

Edited by chipperatl
  • Like 5

@NorthernKeys

It could be that the hotspot reviewer just changed the name before approving it.

This happened to me recently - I'd suggested a boat ramp within National Forest boundaries, but because there's a mish mash of private and public property within the National Forest as well as a number of different organisations running boat ramps, it was renamed to a more generic name based on the river rather than including the National Forest in the name like I'd suggested.

@NorthernKeys There's actually a style guide that hotspot editors are required to follow for naming hotspots. If the suggested hotspot doesn't fit this convention the editor must rename it so all hotspots are consistent.

Unfortunately, some hotspot editors either forget about the naming convention or ignore it, so there are some discrepancies in many areas.

That said, it looks like the folks in TN actually follow the hotspot naming convention pretty well. All the hotspots I'm seeing along the French Broad River look correct, although there is some inconsistency on using the Cherokee NF title on some of those boat ramps.

• Like 4

There's actually a style guide that hotspot editors are required to follow for naming hotspots. If the suggested hotspot doesn't fit this convention the editor must rename it so all hotspots are consistent.

Unfortunately, some hotspot editors either forget about the naming convention or ignore it, so there are some discrepancies in many areas.

That said, it looks like the folks in TN actually follow the hotspot naming convention pretty well. All the hotspots I'm seeing along the French Broad River look correct, although there is some inconsistency on using the Cherokee NF title on some of those boat ramps.

Yeah, the hotspots in TN seem to be good. I've noticed the naming convention on a number of hotspots I've suggested in the past, and the hotspot editors do a good job of keeping everything clean and consistent, which I'm quite grateful for.

I get the impression the inconsistency on boat ramp names around the Cherokee NF area comes from inconsistency on which organisation manages the boat ramp. For example, if it's managed by the Forest Service, then the name will include "Cherokee NF--<boat ramp name>". Sounds like some boat ramps in the area are also managed by state level organisations or even privately though, even though they're within the bounds of Cherokee NF. That's just what I gather from talking to the hotspot reviewer after he contacted me asking for more info about the boat ramp I suggested. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

@DLecy They always upload photos with an explanation. They’re sometimes obvious misidentifications and other times they’re vague photos that maybe could be interpreted as the rare bird (ignoring the location and likelihood) but not enough proof to differentiate from the similar looking common species. They’re not an amateur by any means, but they typically report something crazy every couple months and this has been ongoing for a few years. 
However, as Liam mentioned, they’re most definitely one of the people that just think their ID is correct.
The recent reports that I remember are  gray heron, gilded flicker, and spotted redshank…..in Western Canada. All within the last year.

@Birds are coolI forgot about that! However, their confirmed reports still get sent through the alert.

• Like 3

There's actually a style guide that hotspot editors are required to follow for naming hotspots. If the suggested hotspot doesn't fit this convention the editor must rename it so all hotspots are consistent.

That's what caught my attention about the new hotspot in my area.  My name was based on the sign on the fence:

"Rolling Pines Wastewater Treatment Plant"

The assigned name is

"outlet pointe waste water plant (Limited Access)"

Based on the lower case letters, I assume the editor just accepted the suggested name and added "Limited Access" to comply with the convention.  Outlet Pointe is over a half mile away as the crow files and has no connection with the treatment plant.  It's just a convenient reference point.  Indeed, you can't even reach or see the hotspot from Outlet Pointe's property.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Avery said:

@chipperatl I see you have never had the pleasure of meeting birders who take listing VERY seriously, even keeping rare birds from others to boost their stats. Fortunately that’s is a very rare thing. 

That crazy, I am about as competitive as anyone, but that's ridiculous. 

• Like 4