Whatbird Community

Taken a few days ago at Georgetown Lake in SW Montana.   I think it may be a Song Sparrow, but a positive ID would be great!  Thank you so much for your help!!

Sparrow-ish.jpg

IMG_6076 - Edited.jpg

1 minute ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Have any more photos?  I'm having second thoughts...

I'm not sure either. If it's not a Song, it's a Lincoln's. Juveniles of those two species can be quite hard to tell apart!

I might actually be leaning towards Lincoln's with the thin streaking, and the coloring on the face seems to fit as well. Still not sure though.  @The Bird Nuts do you think this is an adult or a juvenile?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, akiley said:

I might actually be leaning towards Lincoln's with the thin streaking, and the coloring on the face seems to fit as well. Still not sure though.  @The Bird Nuts do you think this is an adult or a juvenile?

If it's singing in that second photo, I would think it's an adult, but I don't know how else to tell with photos of this quality.  I'm leaning Lincoln's now, too, because of the ID marks you mentioned.

I went through my photos and I think this is the same bird from a different angle.  Quality isn't that great.  It was singing quite a bit, and at a high level....so I was thinking at the time it would be an adult.

Thank you all for your input.  

IMG_6081 - Edited.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for that photo!  I can see the buffy wash on the breast and the thin streaking pretty well, so I'd go with Lincoln's.

• Like 1

I just went to the Cornell site and they have a good video of a Lincoln's Sparrow singing ,and from what I remember it was very simililar to the bird song I heard.  Lincoln's it is!  Thank You!

• Like 1