Whatbird Community

25th Annual GBBC!

Birds are cool

Even though it was Presidents Day, I still had school, so I could not go birding all day. I saw a couple new species during my morning run, and then after school I asked my father to take me to the some of the ponds on the Laurens Co. Loop. I was hoping to get 75 species this GBBC, and was able to make it! I have seen 78 species so far, and have seen two county lifers in the past two days! I am really happy with the amount of species I saw.

https://ebird.org/tripreport/106216

• Like 6

A ton of people here contributed to the GBBC, lots of names I’ve never seen before on eBird. Made for quite a few interesting lists and reports…. Rock Pigeon vs Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) got quite a few people.

I ended with 13 as I had some juncos show up this morning. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Aaron said:

A ton of people here contributed to the GBBC, lots of names I’ve never seen before on eBird. Made for quite a few interesting lists and reports…. Rock Pigeon vs Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) got quite a few people.

I ended with 13 as I had some juncos show up this morning. 

Here’s an email from my reviewer to the birders in my county. 

B247D399-33E8-4590-AC17-52666B6B8A30.png

• Haha 5

Here's my trip report: https://ebird.org/tripreport/108330
65 total species at 5 locations

Regarding the e-mail from the Orange County reviewer in @IKLland's post, I noticed a related list here in Clark County. I saw a Common Pochard on the rare bird alert and figured a European must have visited and mistook our Redheads for their familiar ducks back home. When I looked at the actual list, I saw a Radjah Shelduck and realized someone had made a list of captive birds at a zoo.

Edited by Zoroark
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Snake Fingers said:

Cool, this was my first GBBC so… maybe second times the charm?

It's all relative.  I live in an area with more species than you; the Californians and Texans have more than you and I; @aveschapinas and Central Americans have more than the Calis; and the Colombians more than the rest of us combined.

From Cornell's point of view, regular checklists from the same location have a lot of value, even if that location is a back yard.  Those lists show the ebb and flow of species over time.  Doing that is very important for those counties where only a few people are regularly birding.  That data is as important as lists from coastal counties with dozens or hundreds of species.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Charlie Spencer said:

It's all relative.  I live in an area with more species than you; the Californians and Texans have more than you and I; @aveschapinas and Central Americans have more than the Calis; and the Colombians more than the rest of us combined.

From Cornell's point of view, regular checklists from the same location have a lot of value, even if that location is a back yard.  Those lists show the ebb and flow of species over time.  Doing that is very important for those counties where only a few people are regularly birding.  That data is as important as lists from coastal counties with dozens or hundreds of species.

That’s what I was thinking. 10 species and I do a happy dance.

• Like 2