Whatbird Community

Ebird app gripe/question

SirVive

Is there any way to view your life/state/county list without the app needing to get a fix on my location first? I can't get GPS reception inside my house and anytime I just want to take a quick look to see if something is a FOY bird, etc I get stuck on the 'searching for your location' phase and can't even open my life list or anything without getting to a place where I have GPS reception. From my perspective that should be a pretty basic function to at least be able to open my life list and maybe filter by country and state without it being tied to my current location or going to the web page and needing to log into my account from there. 

Edited by SirVive
  • Like 1

Well, I turned off access to Location on my iPhone, then I started eBird.  When eBird asked for access to my location, I closed the pop-up without approving.  I tapped the 'My eBird' icon on the bottom and saw an 'Error determining location' pop-up.  I tapped OK and saw my local checklist.  I tapped the species count and got a list.  I also got an accurate list at state and US levels.

So it sounds like you should try disabling access to Location in Settings, not in the app itself.

• Like 1

I actually just submitted a feedback request for the eBird mobile app to add a "cancel" button for Internet-enabled tasks (like picking a nearby hotspot), as it can hang the app for over a minute on a spotty connection, during which time you cannot enter any sighting info.

18 hours ago, Colton V said:

With a bit of practice, the website is actually very mobile-friendly. 

I mostly agree, except for the map. Sometimes pinching to zoom will zoom the page itself in. Somebody needs to change this in the HTML header...

<meta content="width=device-width" name="viewport"/>

to

<meta content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0, user-scalable=no" name="viewport" />

(source)

Edited by Zoroark
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Well, I turned off access to Location on my iPhone, then I started eBird.  When eBird asked for access to my location, I closed the pop-up without approving.  I tapped the 'My eBird' icon on the bottom and saw an 'Error determining location' pop-up.  I tapped OK and saw my local checklist.  I tapped the species count and got a list.  I also got an accurate list at state and US levels.

So it sounds like you should try disabling access to Location in Settings, not in the app itself.

Well this was a half fix - just tested a bunch of stuff while connected to WiFi so I knew accessing the data wasn't the problem. If I just disabled the location for the entire device nothing on that entire page works. When I did both that AND removed the permission for eBird in the app manager then I can open any of the year or month totals for the county that was the last known location but the life list won't open and if I hit the 3 dots menu it crashes the app every time. 

On 3/16/2023 at 3:36 AM, Colton V said:

I don’t bother using the eBird app for anything other than submitting checklists. With a bit of practice, the website is actually very mobile-friendly. 

I wait until I'm on my laptop to check my lists, but I realize we who prefer computers over phones are in decline.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I wait until I'm on my laptop to check my lists, but I realize we who prefer computers over phones are in decline.

I'm stuck in the middle - I still to this day still use a mil spec flip phone and do anything I can on the computer but since I use an old android as a tablet for ebird it's usually usually handy when I want such information and the laptop is usually out in the office turned off. 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SirVive said:

The 3 dots that let you choose world, country, state , etc 

Maybe different OS?  My iPhone app when I go to My eBird has the green "pin" to click on to choose location I want to look at for my list.  In Airplane Mode I can go all the way to Choose Region screen with options:

• Current Location
  • Michigan
  • United States
  • World.  

Once I choose one I just have to take Airplane mode back off.  Maybe it does the geolocating in the background for me.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

Maybe different OS?  My iPhone app when I go to My eBird has the green "pin" to click on to choose location I want to look at for my list.  In Airplane Mode I can go all the way to Choose Region screen with options:

• Current Location
  • Michigan
  • United States
  • World.  

Once I choose one I just have to take Airplane mode back off.  Maybe it does the geolocating in the background for me.  

I have it on 2 different devices both Android and it looks like the other one has a slightly newer version of the app that is missing that menu 👍 

Here's what it looks like on the one I've been referring to. In my testing referenced previously the green pin just wouldn't open either. 

Screenshot_2023-03-17-09-48-04.png

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zoroark said:

I actually just submitted a feedback request for the eBird mobile app to add a "cancel" button for Internet-enabled tasks (like picking a nearby hotspot), as it can hang the app for over a minute on a spotty connection, during which time you cannot enter any sighting info.

Thanks for doing this!  Besides taking forever to find the hotspots, the app crashes every time I end a checklist and never records the end time.  I'm still using a notepad and pencil....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I wouldn’t necessarily say I prefer phones but I’d use my computer for a lot more things if it wasn’t old and didn’t take 15 minutes to boot up. 

• Like 2

@Charlie Spencer @Colton V @SirVive

I did my lists with a notebook for the first two years, and I started using the banding codes a little after a year into it to reduce the amount of writing. I didn't have phone capable of running the app, and I carried (still do) a GPS unit to geotag my photos, so I had no trouble getting the distance traveled or the start/end times.

In a way, I preferred using the notebook because I couldn't accidentally tap the wrong bird and mess up my counts, I was forced to run a sanity check when entering the data, it didn't have various technical issues or rely so heavily on Google Play Services, I didn't have to unlock it just to add 1 to my Mallard count, and it couldn't run out of battery. However, the app automatically fills in the data I'd grab from the GPS receiver, and the notebook is one less thing I have to carry, which is significant when I'm also hauling around a bulky camera that requires two hands to use. It's also easy with the app to just quickly take down a list at work or some other non-birding function.

If I was just a birdwatcher who didn't care about photos or counts, I'd probably still use the notebook.

Edited by Zoroark
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Zoroark said:

If I was just a birdwatcher who didn't care about photos or counts, I'd probably still use the notebook.

Speaking as a network administrator,  I've often said that just because a process can be automated doesn't mean that's always the best approach.   This is particularly true regarding processes being done by an individual for personal reasons and that don't affect others.

You do you.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 2