Whatbird Community

Bird species of the week photos!

Kevin
Message added by aveschapinas,

In this thread a bird species is named every week on Sunday. Members are invited to post their favorite or best picture of that species during the week. Please post only ONE photo per species. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen very few of these and I have no good photos of them. This is the best of what I do have giving you an idea of just how horrible the handful of other I have are.

106 (3).JPG

• Like 6

5 hours ago, MichaelLong said:

As Braxton stated above

Substituting a person's real name instead of using their screen name can cause problems and should be avoided. First, you are sharing personal information that isn't yours to share. Secondly, using a name that is not involved in the discussion leaves people wondering who you're referring to. 

6 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

First, you are sharing personal information that isn't yours to share.

In this case, @IKLland regularly includes links to his photos on Macaulay Library.  Mac and eBird don't use nicknames, and photos and checklists are attributed to the poster by first and last name.  Someone who includes links to photos on Mac has already shared his or her name.

9 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

Secondly, using a name that is not involved in the discussion leaves people wondering who you're referring to. 

Yeah, you got me there.  That makes it difficult to find the post being referenced.

5 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Someone who includes links to photos on Mac has already shared his or her name.

While the name may be found at the other end of the link if you look for it, the name is not publicly visible in this forum. Personally, I think it makes a difference on who does the sharing when it comes to personal information, but the confusion aspect should be reason enough to use screen names and avoid real names.

• Like 1

Trumpeter Swan and Tundra Swan both photos is Colorado. Neither are good photos. I might have better of the Tundra somewhere but I like the one I chose as a favorite as I saw 10 Tundra Swans that day all at once. Very cool to see so many at once. Trumpeter this is probably the best I have as they were always too far away to get a good photo. I have seen Mute swans in the wild but they are all considered Exotic escapee by ebird so I didn't post one here. If memory serves the Trumpeter Swans in this picture were very controversial at the time some thinking Tundra others thinking Trumpeter. Eventually they were formally ruled Trumpeter.

028.JPG

044.JPG

• Like 8