Whatbird Community

Share Your Best or Favorite Photo of a Bird Species!

Kevin

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, the results are in!  Looking at the numbers, I'm glad to have asked.  Multiple photos are more popular than I expected.

To celebrate, this week's birds (plural) are 

Scrub-Jays, Woodhouse's, Florida and California

'And',  not 'or'!  Try to limit yourselves to one photo of each.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

OMG, it's been pointed out I didn't include 

Florida Scrub-Jay too

I was trying to find a quick group of species on my list of birds we haven't featured before.  My list had the first two as previously unused so I went with them.  Floridas are ABA code 2 birds, so they aren't listed with the code 1 Cali and Woodhouse's.   I'll reconsider how I manage / sort the list.

@Kevin, would you add Florida to my previous post?  Thanks!

Edited by Charlie Spencer

Just now, Clip said:

@Charlie Spencerthanks for adding Florida.

Credit to @lonestranger for catching my error. 

I sort my worksheet by ABA code, and try to pick only ABA code 1 species.  I assume those are the ones people are most likely to have photos of.  That works when picking a single species.  When picking a group, I can miss birds with higher codes, as I did today.  

4 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Credit to @lonestranger for catching my error. 

I sort my worksheet by ABA code, and try to pick only ABA code 1 species.  I assume those are the ones people are most likely to have photos of.  That works when picking a single species.  When picking a group, I can miss birds with higher codes, as I did today.  

What about Island Scrub-Jay to round out Scrub-Jays?!

if we are sticking with the genus Aphelocoma, how about Mexican Jay, another code 2? Just curious.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, RobinHood said:

Being in the NE no Scrub-jay photos but I did get to update my Sibley Guide (presumably old Western reports are changed to California/Woodhouse's).

I don't even think the latest addition was quite out when they made that separation. Making the guide outdated from day one of it's release. There were probably already other changes too.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, DLecy said:

What about Island Scrub-Jay to round out Scrub-Jays?!

This is why I don't like picking multiple species or venturing into Code 2 territory.  But okay, Island Scrub-Jays too.

21 hours ago, DLecy said:

if we are sticking with the genus Aphelocoma,

Ah, but we're not.  We're going with NA Code 1 and 2 birds with 'Scrub-Jay' names.  More specifically, the birds have to have been hatched on a Tuesday, with priority given to full-moon Tuesdays, excluding birds hatched in USDA Agricultural Zones 2, 3, and 4.

• Haha 9