Whatbird Community

Share Your Best or Favorite Photo of a Bird Species!

Kevin

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Jerry Friedman said:

I've shared some thoughts with @Kevinon appropriate yard birds for a teenager, but he doesn't seem to listen. 🙂

I can't stop now! Just two species short of an even 200.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MichaelLong said:

What a sick yard bird!

That was a phenomenal winter, crazy birds popped up. I even got a email from my reviewer congratulating me on all the great birds. The whole county got hit though, for some reason everything came in, from the east, west, south and north.

I'm really hoping this year is similar, pretty slow so far but maybe it will pick up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Every time I read the phrase 'yard birds' here, 'For Your Love' starts playing in my head.  But those Yardbirds are definitely appropriate for teenagers!

I'm betting that most of the teens on Whatbird won't get the Yardbird reference until after they Google "For Your Love".  :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Birds are cool said:

True. Forgot about them until I played the song. They're a super underrated band.

They arguably had some of the world's best musicians in the band, and those artists influenced music for decades to follow with the many different bands they eventually evolved into.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Birds are cool said:

They're a super underrated band.

Although very well regarded at the time (at least in England), I still know the lyrics as well as most of the top songs from the 60s and 70s. Living in the north-east (home to Brian Johnson, the Knoflers, Chris Rea, Bryan Ferry etc.) until 64 the Animals were my local group, but I digress.

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I was surprised to see we haven't already done this bird, so...

I think there are still a few of the more common birds available (swans, shorebirds, Pintail possibly).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RobinHood said:

Although very well regarded at the time (at least in England), I still know the lyrics as well as most of the top songs from the 60s and 70s. Living in the north-east (home to Brian Johnson, the Knoflers, Chris Rea, Bryan Ferry etc.) until 64 the Animals were my local group, but I digress.

The animals were a great band.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IKLland said:

a cooperative, large bird

These and Great Blue Herons are among my favorite subjects.  Both are usually tolerant of me, are easy to shoot since they don't move much, and are found in interesting environments.  Usually I can pick a photo without much conflict but this week I had trouble narrowing down my final four.

Lockwood Folly River, Brunswick County, southeastern NC.  September 2021.  Multiple species use this tree as a perch - herons, egrets, raptors, kingfishers, passerines.  I make a point to check it from obscured viewpoints to avoid startling what may be there.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S94126790

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 9