Whatbird Community

Share Your Best or Favorite Photo of a Bird Species!

Kevin

2 hours ago, stitch58 said:

Hopefully second times a charm. Like I said it's not my best shot but I've only seen them do this a couple times.

36484722391_f8ba9805e9_b.jpg

I thought it was standing knee deep in murky waters until I zoomed in and noticed that it's actually kneeling on it's backward bending knees.

• Like 4

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, lonestranger said:

I thought it was standing knee deep in murky waters until I zoomed in and noticed that it's actually kneeling on it's backward bending knees.

Don’t know if it’s resting or what? Like I said, only seen a couple times.

Tough choice for this one. Great Egrets are abundant year round in Florida and I saw them in Colorado in the summer when I lived there. Plus as others have mentioned they are often cooperative for photos. I choose this one because I don't often get photos of them with prey. I will likely post a few more in Overflow.

172 (2).JPG

• Like 10

18 hours ago, lonestranger said:

Technically it's standing flat-footed instead of on its toes.  (Well, technically I should probably use different terms.)

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I saw one at an SC beach last fall.  It always seems odd to me to see one in salt water.

I see them often in salt water especially at Huguenot Memorial Park in Jacksonville where the St. Johns River and the Atlantic Ocean meet. I also see Reddish and Snowy Egrets and Wood Storks. My first experience with Great Egrets however was in Colorado where there is no salt water so moving to Florida and seeing them in salt water for the first time was a bit of a surprise. I have seen a few other birds spending a day at the beach that surprised me but hey birds need a vacation once in while too😁

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I know y'all are out there on pins and needles stuck into the edge of your seat, so without further delay,

Eurasian Collared-Dove

Pins! They have grown into nails!

• Haha 4