Whatbird Community

Share Your Best or Favorite Photo of a Bird Species!

Kevin

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of three Mute Swans that used to wander around my neighborhood. All three seem to have departed or died. I did find out through the elementary school grapevine one was killed by someone (stoned in fact, I recall it was a middle or elementary schooler?) because it was attacking some ducklings.

• Like 12

Most likely one of the few birds that survived or returned to Sanibel Island after Hurricane Ian.  The smaller swans did not make it due to the water quality.   Photo taken a few months ago post hurricane in the Periwinkle Park Pond.  It is fed by the park employees.

Mute_Swan_DSC1591.jpg

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Based upon IOC taxonomy I have four species

There is fourth ABA swan species, Code 2, but I usually stick to Code 1 birds here.  Two reasons - I suspect there aren't enough people with photos of Code 2 or higher to make them worth featuring; and my spreadsheet is sorted to prioritize Code 1 birds.

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2024 at 11:26 AM, Connor Cochrane said:

Based upon IOC taxonomy I have four species

On 2/14/2024 at 11:44 AM, Charlie Spencer said:

There is fourth ABA swan species, Code 2

Whooper Swan? Cause that’s code 3. Or is Bewick’s considered a separate species on the IOC list?

12 hours ago, neilpa said:

Whooper Swan? Cause that’s code 3. Or is Bewick’s considered a separate species on the IOC list?

Yeah, Whooper.  I remembered there was one that wasn't code 1, but I didn't go back to see exactly which species or code.  It's irrelevant now because...

Happy GBBC, Whatbirders!  Maybe you'll see this week's bird, 

Townsends Solitaire 

Fox Sparrow