Whatbird Community

Confused Woodpecker?

I love your remark, Charlie.  🤒  A Texas heat wave will cause your blood to boil and and yield fermentation products in any vegetative matter you may happen to encounter.  I never understood the attraction of hot springs.  A native Texan will seek out cold springs, limestone caverns; and the chilly waters of the Guadalupe, Comal, and Colorado rivers.  Remind me to schedule a tube trip when water levels are higher and the currents are swifter.  Right now the aquifers are deplenished and the usually reliable springs and streams and swimming holes are mud puddles intersected by piles of limestone rock.  

• Like 4

On 4/11/2023 at 6:07 PM, TexasCobra said:

I love your remark, Charlie.  🤒  A Texas heat wave will cause your blood to boil and and yield fermentation products in any vegetative matter you may happen to encounter.  I never understood the attraction of hot springs.  A native Texan will seek out cold springs, limestone caverns; and the chilly waters of the Guadalupe, Comal, and Colorado rivers.  Remind me to schedule a tube trip when water levels are higher and the currents are swifter.  Right now the aquifers are deplenished and the usually reliable springs and streams and swimming holes are mud puddles intersected by piles of limestone rock.  

Home sweet home!

Don't forget about the Frio and Lano! 

I agree with you, Charlie.  I lived most of my life in Texas or Northern Virginia.  I had a couple of US Embassy postings to Mexico and Costa Rica.  I visited Las Vegas, Los Angeles, El Centro, Phoenix, and Chicago in the summertime.  You drip faster in humid areas.   Otherwise the heat will kill you in the same amount of time. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I went to high school in Las Vegas.  Don't you love it when people tell you, "But that's a dry heat!"  Buddy, 115F is 115F, dry, damp, or wet.

One of those unimportant thing that just really bugs me.

When it is 115 and the sun is blazing down, I'll take moisture in any form.

• Like 2

I'm not a guy who sweats easily so some amount of humidity feels good - just not at the point where I can feel the fog in my lungs. I've lived most of my life in near 100% humidity - thankfully in this climate that usually also means temps in the 40-70F range. The past 5 days have all been 90%+ but the high temp was 56F. 

• Like 1

My Scottish grandparents, who were reared in Glasgow,  spent many weeks of summer vacation in Victoria and Vancouver in order to escape the heat and humidity of Houston, their residence from the mid 1920's.  They were astonished to find that residents of the Canadian Pacific Coastal communities were passing out from heat exposure in temperatures that rarely exceeded 80 degrees Fahrenheit.  I suppose Canadians are accustomed to wear thick woolen long john underwear on all occasions. In Texas we wear cotton next to the skin and as outer garments when permitted by social occasions. 

A few years ago, and I will admit this was an exceptional climate event, Austin experienced more than 90 consecutive days of high temperatures above 100 degrees Fahrenheit.  That period also occasioned formidable drought which caused many restaurants and bars and marinas along the shoreline of Lake Travis (a notable recreational venue) to shutter their doors and sell their property holdings.    

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TexasCobra said:

What do you recommend, Snake Fingers?  What will make you laugh?  I am amenable to a change in topic.  Offer one! 

I was just joking about about the recent comments, the weather topic already exists anyways so no need to change anything! This thread is very interesting and funny already!