Whatbird Community

Greater or Lesser Scaup?

To me the female head shape leans Lesser, the black at the tip of the bill leans Lesser (there is overlap!), and remember that the head shape can be flattened when the bird has been diving recently, male Lessers also average slightly darker on the back than Greaters although I have never used that characteristic to Id scaups. Lesser Scaups also use freshwater more than Greater Scaups.

Edited by MichaelLong
Addition
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MichaelLong said:

To me the female head shape leans Lesser, the black at the tip of the bill leans Lesser (there is overlap!), and remember that the head shape can be flattened when the bird has been diving recently, male Lessers also average slightly darker on the back than Greaters although I have never used that characteristic to Id scaups. 

Interesting. I feel the head shapes lean greater, but I guess you’re right. Personally, without other photos(or input from @DLecy), I’d leave these as a /.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I rather timidly agree with all three Lessers here, but please don't quote me as an authority on it, just trying to be honest of what my field call would be, right or wrong.  I just cant get behind the head shapes is my reasoning, although I know there are other indicators to collectively rely upon that I am less comfortable with as well...

7 hours ago, Avery said:

Female is a Lesser, male is a Greater IMO. Pancake body, rounded head shape (bird appears at rest) and eye placement (higher up, more centered)

That was my thought too, also the fine barring on the male (not always reliable). Just seemed odd at this time of year for this pairing away from the other birds as the birds I'm seeing currently are pair bonded or lone males.

Oops, forgot to press submit reply at 7.00am (excited about going to see a White Wagtail).

• Like 1