Whatbird Community

On 12/30/2018 at 12:43 AM, Creeker said:

First looks good for Costa's Hummingbird female. Second is a Say's Phoebe. Third is a Hermit Thrush. Fourth looks like a male Anna's Hummingbird.

I'd lean more towards a male Costa's for the last hummer, due to the gorget reaching pretty far down the sides of the neck

On 1/2/2019 at 12:31 PM, TuftedTitrat said:

I'd lean more towards a male Costa's for the last hummer, due to the gorget reaching pretty far down the sides of the neck

Not quite as far as the usual Costa's, and I've seen lots of Anna's with that much flare. I think I'm seeing pink tones where the light is hitting the forget. I would also expect more white separation on the neck and breast for a Costa's.  But it is a tough pic. A lit up gorget would settle the debate. Any other pics of this guy would help.

On 12/29/2018 at 9:43 PM, Creeker said:

First looks good for Costa's Hummingbird female. Second is a Say's Phoebe. Third is a Hermit Thrush. Fourth looks like a male Anna's Hummingbird.

Agreed 

Edited by Ceylon
I agree with Creeker
On 1/4/2019 at 1:44 PM, Creeker said:

Not quite as far as the usual Costa's, and I've seen lots of Anna's with that much flare. I think I'm seeing pink tones where the light is hitting the forget. I would also expect more white separation on the neck and breast for a Costa's.  But it is a tough pic. A lit up gorget would settle the debate. Any other pics of this guy would help.

Whatever it is, I'm thinking it's a little young. I think the part of the gorget that's to the left of the eye resembles a Costa's more than an Anna's, but it still looks a little strange regardless.