Whatbird Community

Juvenile Spizella, MT

Juvenile Spizella sparrows are very challenging to separate. If I’m remembering correctly, at times they can be hard to separate in hand. A quick look through Macaulay shows variation, and lots of potential misidentifications. I’m currently not aware of a recent study on juvenile Spizellas, but would lean towards Clay-colored here due to the in distinct white around the eye. Yet, I think it’s currently appropriately assigned to Spizella sp., unless someone wants to provide a detailed and compelling argument one way or another.

• Like 7

On 5/18/2023 at 2:23 PM, DLecy said:

Juvenile Spizella sparrows are very challenging to separate. If I’m remembering correctly, at times they can be hard to separate in hand. A quick look through Macaulay shows variation, and lots of potential misidentifications. I’m currently not aware of a recent study on juvenile Spizellas, but would lean towards Clay-colored here due to the in distinct white around the eye. Yet, I think it’s currently appropriately assigned to Spizella sp., unless someone wants to provide a detailed and compelling argument one way or another.

Thank you for this info @DLecy. I agree about the designation, I'm not proposing that should be changed! I was just curious to see if there are any reliable ways to separate CCSP vs BRSP juveniles, but it sounds like many should be left unidentified even with a high quality photo.

Edited by Jill L