Whatbird Community
Jandme123

Two birds I'd like help identifying

The first birds are hawk like in appearance but they are only about the size of a morning dove. 

The second birds I found nesting in my garage. Both Male and female are very similar in appearance. Solid color head goes into the wings the same color. The chest is white on both. The nest is small only about 5 inches across and now holds 5 baby birds. 

FB_IMG_1531413827265.jpg

20180712_122124.jpg

Can you post your location? That would be helpful for IDing the flycatcher, though I have a pretty good idea what it is. 

The flycatcher looks like an Eastern Phoebe to me. I agree with Merlin.

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

On the second bird, is that a wide pale band across the end of the tail, or is that something behind the bird?

That is the sun shining on the tip of the tail.  The rest of the tail is in the shadow of the roof eave.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

That is the sun shining on the tip of the tail.  The rest of the tail is in the shadow of the roof eave.

Must just be me, but I can't get any perspective on that photo.  Is the bird on top of a fence, on the edge of a roof, or something else?  Those sheet-metal wall panels on the lower left must be six inches across, or that's the legendary Four-Foot Flycatcher.  :classic_blink:

Edited by Charlie Spencer

What would a 4-foot Phoebe eat? I think we're looking at about a 3 degree angle down metal roofing. The corrugated metal is compressed. The bird isn't, which is good...there may be laws pertaining to bird compression.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, HamRHead said:

What would a 4-foot Phoebe eat?

I shouldn't answer this but since you set it up, ...

ANYTHING IT WANTS.

I notice we still don't know where this bird is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Based on the roofing, greenery, and pines...I’m guessing the location is somewhere around the Appalachian Mountains!!! 😁   Any other guesses!!!

• Like 1

Although...they don’t mention when the photos were taken :classic_mellow:   So if recently then the Merlin’s May put it way up north right? Like New Yorkish?

Cool so where’s the Merlin nest? Right near the 4ft Phoebee’s house?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, asque2000 said:

Merlins for the top two

Looks like 3 birds in the first photo. Cool shot by the way!

53 minutes ago, TooFly said:

Based on the roofing, greenery, and pines...I’m guessing the location is somewhere around the Appalachian Mountains!!! 😁   Any other guesses!!!

51 minutes ago, TooFly said:

Although...they don’t mention when the photos were taken :classic_mellow:   So if recently then the Merlin’s May put it way up north right? Like New Yorkish?

Agreed--western Virginia or West Virginia...or somewhere in the Catskills.

4 minutes ago, HamRHead said:

Looks like 3 birds in the first photo. Cool shot by the way!

Wait, now I think I am seeing 4 Merlins in the first photo!

Nesting Merlin (you wouldn't get three Merlin sitting this close together otherwise) puts it somewhere between Maine and Minnesota (or in Canada), or Washington or Montana out west. Using the vegetation makes sense when you're not close to houses, etc., but once you get close to people, all bets are off. Within a few minutes of my house in Illinois, I can show you pines from Norway, Blue Spruce from Colorado, and White Fir from the Rocky Mountains, among others.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, psweet said:

Nesting Merlin (you wouldn't get three Merlin sitting this close together otherwise) puts it somewhere between Maine and Minnesota (or in Canada), or Washington or Montana out west. Using the vegetation makes sense when you're not close to houses, etc., but once you get close to people, all bets are off. Within a few minutes of my house in Illinois, I can show you pines from Norway, Blue Spruce from Colorado, and White Fir from the Rocky Mountains, among others.

Good points. And I'm out of likes.

6 hours ago, HamRHead said:

Wait, now I think I am seeing 4 Merlins in the first photo!

You are right...there are 4 Merlins in the photos. 🙂