Whatbird Community

Purple Finch

1 hour ago, Geobird said:

I was hoping for a Purple.  Maybe next time.

Thanks,

George 

A purple finch would have a white or lighter stripe down the eye, and will also have less/no streaking on the chest. House finches have a brown or muted cap, like this one, as well as just generally more brown on the face. 

• Like 1

I've been on this website since 11 BCE and I've bemoaned the fact I can never get a purple finch photo.  Before I got sick I trekked across San Juan County and beyond and have yet to get a pic.  Meanwhile my neighbors to the north are practically giddy with purple finch photos.  I have cursed their bird feeders so they will only get house finches from now on. >=)  I think this summer (since I'm practically climbing mountains now) I'm going to poach in their territory.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Totah Sam said:

I've been on this website since 11 BCE and I've bemoaned the fact I can never get a purple finch photo.  Before I got sick I trekked across San Juan County and beyond and have yet to get a pic.  Meanwhile my neighbors to the north are practically giddy with purple finch photos.  I have cursed their bird feeders so they will only get house finches from now on. >=)  I think this summer (since I'm practically climbing mountains now) I'm going to poach in their territory.  

I spent 10 years looking for a Purple in central SC.  In October I finally got a female in at Parker River in Massachusetts.  Three days after I get home, there's a half-dozen of each sex hanging out around my sunflower feeders for a week.

Birds.  Go figure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I spent 10 years looking for a Purple in central SC.  In October I finally got a female in at Parker River in Massachusetts.  Three days after I get home, there's a half-dozen of each sex hanging out around my sunflower feeders for a week.

Birds.  Go figure.

That is hilarious and par for the course.  This is a fickle hobby.  You might even say "flighty".  har har.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2