Whatbird Community

Mystery Duck

10 hours ago, IKLland said:

How could you tell from this? Personally, I think this should be left as Dabblint Duck Sp. 

Agreed. Im not seeing enough to ID it. I don’t see the shoulder spur. I can’t rule out Gadwall or Wigeon

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Avery said:

Agreed. Im not seeing enough to ID it. I don’t see the shoulder spur. I can’t rule out Gadwall or Wigeon

Same, I still can’t see the shoulder spur. GISS is screaming female pintail to me, but this isn’t identifiable unless proven otherwise. 

6 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

IMG_3218.thumb.JPG.d99cbf1d33629aefd07cc4e54643e59a.jpeg

That doesn’t look green at all to me, it just looks pale. I don’t understand how you’re saying that’s an an actual spur and not just a lighting effect from the bright sun in this photo, or a reflection from the water, etc.

Unless the OP has other photos, this isn’t identifiable.  

• Like 1

Just now, IKLland said:

That doesn’t look green at all to me, it just looks pale. I don’t understand how you’re saying that’s an an actual spur and not just a lighting effect from the bright sun in this photo, or a reflection from the water, etc.

Unless the OP has other photos, this isn’t identifiable.  

I'm not going to push this one any further, personally I think the positioning of the pale spur is pretty spot on, and it seems to be in a shadow, so probably not the sun or reflection. I was talking about the green on the head, which is not pale. 

It's reasonable to leave it as dabbling duck sp., though.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Birds are cool said:

can I try editing it?

Go for it. I wish I knew how to edit photos better but that is definitely not my strong suit. My max is cropping photos and lighting it up a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The spur on a GWTE is behind the head, and is vertical. Unless it’s an Eurasian, then the horizontal stripe is along the flanks. Even if that white isn’t reflection, as I think it is, it’s in the wrong location. 

7 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

personally I think the positioning of the pale spur is pretty spot on, and it seems to be in a shadow, 

14 minutes ago, Avery said:

The spur on a GWTE is behind the head, and is vertical. Unless it’s an Eurasian, then the horizontal stripe is along the flanks. Even if that white isn’t reflection, as I think it is, it’s in the wrong location. 

I was talking about the vertical white stripe on the side of its breast.