Whatbird Community

Bachman's Warbler living in my bamboo thicket?

Hello,  I am new to your group and forum.  I believe that I have a female, Bachman's warbler living in the Seabreeze, bamboo thicket in my backyard in Sunrise, Florida which is

close to but west of Fort Lauderdale and very close to the Everglades.  The very small, olive-green bird with a pale, yellow neck and chest frequents my tube feeders several

times a day along with a pair of cardinals, several blue jays, mourning doves, the occasional parrots, too many black birds as well as pesky squirrels and Muscovy Ducks.

There is also a canal behind the bamboo with a lot of migratory birds and waterfowl frequenting it such as egrets, herons, ibis, moorhens and Egyptian geese.

My girlfriend and I enjoy watching these birds.  We have been trying to identify the possible, Bachman's warbler online at other sites with no luck until we found your site.  Your site

mentioned that this bird is thought to be extinct.  I have ordered a trail cam from Amazon to hopefully get some pictures to post.  We would appreciate any info that your readers

may be able to provide us such as other birds that match the picture of the female, Bahman's warbler on your site which appears to be a perfect match.  Thank you.

Thank you for the welcome and reply.  The pine warbler was one of the birds we looked at; but, ruled out because it more closely resembled the picture of the Bachman's.

I use a 2 to 1 mix of Harvest Seed and Supply No Waste Mix (de-hulled sunflower seeds, millet, peanuts and canary seed) with Pennington's sunflower chips.

Welcome!

That sure sounds like what a Pine Warbler would be eating; most warblers are insectivores.  As @The Bird Nuts noted, there aren't many warblers that visit seed feeders, but Pine Warblers are among them and can be attracted easily.  Be sure you look at both sexes of the Pine Warbler, the females are significantly less flashy than the males.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Pine_Warbler/id

If that still doesn't look like your bird, scroll down to 'Compare with Similar Species'.

Respectfully, you're going to need some photos to make a case for a Bachman's.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 2

A photo would definitely help, but in the meantime you can take notes of its features if it keeps visiting your feeders.  Some questions to ask are:

Does it have wingbars? If so, how many and what color are they?

What is its beak shape (very pointy, relatively blunt)?

Does it have streaks on its breast?

Does it have eyerings? If so, are they broken or complete and what color are they?)

What is its facial/cheek/head pattern?

What is its back pattern (streaked or solid color)?

etc.

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 2

Thank you both for posting.  I agree with Charlie and The Bird Nuts and am waiting on delivery of a new, Browning trail cam to hopefully capture some photos and/or video. 

I am using stabilized, Fujinon 12X32 Techno-Stabi binoculars to view the bird and will try to log and note some of it's characteristics.  Thanks again for your replies and kind

regards to all. Happy New Year.

• Like 2

Welcome to WhatBird, and congratulations for taking the comments in the spirit in which they were offered. I hope you can get some photos of your visitor and confirm its identity. And I'm afraid I have bad news for you - I think you're hooked! Please feel free to post your future observations and ID requests as you become a birder 😄

• Like 3

I am really new to this and certainly don't know if this is possible, but I saw Hooded Warbler reported on Ebird at Ft. Myers (Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve, Lee County, Florida, US) on Jan 2 (and previously Dec. 20 in the same area).  I know this is 140 miles away but is it possible that the OP saw a Hooded Warbler? (I read in my guide book they like to live near water in a dense thicket or area.)

Bachman's Warbler living in my bamboo thicket update:  I received my new, trail cam on Friday and mounted it to a tree on Saturday with a good view of all my feeders;

but, it was too far away for the birds to trigger the motion detector.  Today, I moved the camera to a tree much closer to the feeders and the birds(mostly blackbirds)

triggered 400 photos.  The field of view now only shows three of the six feeding stations and does not include the bird bath as before; however, I was able to capture two,

decent shots of the bird in question.   The very, small bird is olive in color on the back side with a pale yellow breast and belly.  There is no hood, face-mask or crest,  There

are no eye rings; but, it does appear to have a small, pale yellow semi-circle on the bottom of the eye with the upper half around the eye being olive in color.  There does appear

to be 2 maybe 3 grey, small streaks on the breast.  The legs appear to be a darker grey matching the bottom-side of the tail feathers.  There are no noticeable wing bars

when the bird is perched; but, the edges of the wings as well as the tail are grey like the bottom side of the tail.  The beak is small, triangular in shape and is light tan or beige

in color.  I have ordered a pole mount for the camera and may re-arrange the feeders and/or camera to get more and/or better shots of other feeding locations; so please, be

patient with me until I get all  this dialed in.  I also apologize for my lack of proper birding terminology as I am a novice.

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG

• Like 1

It looks like a female Painted Bunting to me.    Try looking at some of the pics in the link below. 

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Painted_Bunting/id

Don't worry about not having the not "proper terminology".  We all started somewhere and even experts were beginners at one point. :classic_happy:

Sniped by @The Bird Nuts!

Edited by MerMaeve
sniped by @TBN
  • Like 1

I now believe that there may be a pair because sometimes one appears to be thin or skinny like this one at the feeder and there also appears to be a chubby or fatter

one that I see sometimes perched in the bamboo like today sitting near a male cardinal.

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to share some pictures of the pair of painted buntings that we have living in the bamboo thicket in our backyard in Sunrise, FL.  Thanks to your forum and

members for correctly identifying the female painted bunting that was previously posted.  Since then we knew what to look for in hopes of spotting the male.  We had

previously seen him several times; but, never knew just how beautiful he was or what he was because we were seeing him from a distance with the naked eye.  He ap-

peared to be a small,  dark or black bird with a red breast.  

IMG_0372.JPG

IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

• Like 9
9 minutes ago, capnrichz said:

Just wanted to share some pictures of the pair of painted buntings that we have living in the bamboo thicket in our backyard in Sunrise, FL.  Thanks to your forum and

members for correctly identifying the female painted bunting that was previously posted.  Since then we knew what to look for in hopes of spotting the male.  We had

previously seen him several times; but, never knew just how beautiful he was or what he was because we were seeing him from a distance with the naked eye.  He ap-

peared to be a small,  dark or black bird with a red breast.  

Glad you spotted the male!  The females are an attractive enough bird with their overall lime color, but the males are truly spectacular and unmistakable.

Might I ask, is this a 'regular' camera on a tripod, or an external web cam mounted on a windowsill?  What make and model of hardware are you using?

Edited by Charlie Spencer