Whatbird Community

Immature Goldeneye?

Looks like a female Scaup to me.  The white patch, the bluish bill, the sides paler than the back, the back more dark gray than the brownish breast and fanny.

If I had to guess, I'd say Greater.  The head looks more rounder than peaked, and Greaters are more inclined to larger bodies of salt water.  Definitely wait for someone with more Scaup experience to make that call.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Thanks 1

it seems to vary from being quite clear to being very subtle like this one. If you carefully follow the neck line from it's back, when it starts to curve there is a slight vertical change of direction. Best I can do for an explanation.

Nice image.

Edited by RobinHood
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, RobinHood said:

it seems to vary from being quite clear to being very subtle like this one. If you carefully follow the neck line from it's back, when it starts to curve there is a slight vertical change of direction. Best I can do for an explanation.

Nice image.

Thanks, if only for the sympathetic ear.  Actually, I'm pretty satisfied everyone agrees it's a Scaup.