Whatbird Community

neotropic cormorant

Should be easy. Just want to double check. In the field, this one bird did look smaller but not HUGELY smaller. In photos, same deal, definitely smaller but not night and day. I lightened this picture. You can see the white border on the face which is a decent ID mark... the "longer" tail looks similar in size(to me) to the DCCO but, proportionally longer...  and, shorter and thinner legs. I didn't ever think to compare legs but saw that as an ID mark on eBird and, this bird's legs are definitely smaller.

neco.png

I think this is the same bird...

neco1.thumb.png.daad1d557378ce3c37419a2b8481e7b2.png

and then, I think this might be a second one. It's definitely in a different spot... not sure how I could rule out the bird moving to another log while I wasn't paying attention, but I don't remember any of them moving while I was there.
neco2.thumb.png.1ddd05b81c1b9f25fd7225659100368a.png

Thanks...
And are the bills on a neotropic thinner and perhaps less of a hook on them?

1 minute ago, millipede said:

and then, I think this might be a second one. It's definitely in a different spot... not sure how I could rule out the bird moving to another log while I wasn't paying attention, but I don't remember any of them moving while I was there.

Thanks...

Both neotropic.

1 minute ago, millipede said:

Thanks...

Both neotropic.

4 minutes ago, Birds are cool said:

Both neotropic.

Left bird looks good for Double-crested Cormorant, noting the lack of white liner, the larger size, the longer legs, difference in tail, and the extra orange patch....Right side for Neotropic, based on the same...

Edited by Caley Thomas 2.0

1 hour ago, Caley Thomas 2.0 said:

Left bird looks good for Double-crested Cormorant, noting the lack of white liner, the larger size, the longer legs, difference in tail, and the extra orange patch....Right side for Neotropic, based on the same...

Sorry, I didn't read the post all the way. I thought that the DCCO was already identified.

• Like 1