Whatbird Community

What bird is this feather from ? Southern usa

47 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Barn Owl?

Definitely could be but I thought barn owl feathers were striped ? Could be totally wrong though !

I've seen alot of great horned owls, barn owls, and barred owls around lately so it could match. Thank you for your reply !

1 hour ago, buckdeerhunter said:

Definitely could be but I thought barn owl feathers were striped ? Could be totally wrong though !

I've seen alot of great horned owls, barn owls, and barred owls around lately so it could match. Thank you for your reply !

Some Barn Owls, particularly light males, can have flight feathers that lack barring. This is more common in the outer primaries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DLecy said:

Some Barn Owls, particularly light males, can have flight feathers that lack barring. This is more common in the outer primaries.

Oh well, then that solves the case ! This is a barn owl feather ! Everything seems to fit the bill since no other birds here have that big of a feather (besides turkeys, turkey vultures, Bald Eagle, and of course, owls !)

One question though, is that wispy feathering on the one side a feature to fly quieter or is it a damaged feather ? 

54 minutes ago, buckdeerhunter said:

One question though, is that wispy feathering on the one side a feature to fly quieter or is it a damaged feather ? 

Not sure, but if you feel the feathers, they should have a fuzzy feel that helps them fly quietly. That's why they can't fly in the rain or they will die from hypothermia, because the fuzz acts like a cotton shirt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Birds are cool said:

Not sure, but if you feel the feathers, they should have a fuzzy feel that helps them fly quietly. That's why they can't fly in the rain or they will die from hypothermia, because the fuzz acts like a cotton shirt.

Just felt the feather and oh my goodness, it feels so soft like silk ! Especially compared to a turkey or buzzard feather. The wispy ends feel even softer. Guessing it's probably a first stage/immature feather because of the wisps/no stripes.

Thank you both so much ! Hopefully anyone who has the same feather in the future can find this post and know what it came from. Such a cool fact about owls and the rain !

• Like 3