Whatbird Community

2023 AOS Check-list Supplement

DLecy

8 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

Just saw this.  Look like some of you Westerners are losing a bird with the Western Flycatcher lump.  

Except for me!! I’ve never seen Cordilleran. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

Just saw this.  Look like some of you Westerners are losing a bird with the Western Flycatcher lump.  

Indeed. Although, things usually balance out in the end. I gained an armchair lifer in last year's supplement with the split of Chihuahuan/Eastern Meadowlark.

• Like 4

Does anyone know what they did on the subspecific level with Western Fly? The original proposal said to recognize 3 subspecies, with the previous Pac-slope and Cordilleran both being one, and a third in Mexico. Not sure what the AOS decided on.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Does anyone know what they did on the subspecific level with Western Fly? The original proposal said to recognize 3 subspecies, with the previous Pac-slope and Cordilleran both being one, and a third in Mexico. Not sure what the AOS decided on.

It was hidden in the actual supplement. Looks like the AOS will recognize [occidentalis group] and [difficilis group], which I'm sure is what we'll see on eBird in august.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

It was hidden in the actual supplement. Looks like the AOS will recognize [occidentalis group] and [difficilis group], which I'm sure is what we'll see on eBird in august.

Where did you see that? The proposal was for six forms, but clearly stated that the authors recognize that subspecific recognition isn't within the scope of the NACC.

40 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Where did you see that? The proposal was for six forms, but clearly stated that the authors recognize that subspecific recognition isn't within the scope of the NACC.

More of an inference, but this is the updated species account which includes both groups labeled. I would guess eBird will keep the two groups as different taxa still able to be entered in the database, rather than Northwestern crow which got deleted.

image.thumb.png.0b03841978ecdfb58cf52c2702774911.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

More of an inference, but this is the updated species account which includes both groups labeled. I would guess eBird will keep the two groups as different taxa still able to be entered in the database, rather than Northwestern crow which got deleted.

image.thumb.png.0b03841978ecdfb58cf52c2702774911.png

Ok, yeah, saw that. It's a suggestion as the NACC doesn't make the determination here, but I agree that this is likely the way things will pan out. I'll be interested to see what they do with the two Mexican ssp. suggestions, if anything.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

So does this mean the banding codes change for American Goldfinch, since American Goshawk would also be AMGO.  

Yeah I was thinking about that, maybe something like AGOS and AGOL

• Like 2