Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ves

Black-backed Gulls, Herring Gulls

These were taken earlier today (1/5/2019) in southcentral Kansas!  Any help with any of these gulls is appreciated, thanks in advance!

1. I am very curious about these ones, they seem very dark on top, especially the adult to the right. Sadly I only got these two photos of them, I could understand if they aren't identifiable with these. I hoped maybe they could be Lesser Black-backed Gulls, but I'm not sure, I know Herring can have a lot of variation but I have never seen an adult with such a dark mantle.

2. I can definitely understand if this one is not identifiable, but I figured I would put it here as well! Another dark gull I saw today.

3. One more, I feel more confident that this one is a Herring, but would like to make sure!

53 minutes ago, akiley said:

Yes, Lesser Black-backed on the right in pics 1-2. The rest look like Herrings.

Thank you so much!!

Are you certain that the three photos of #2 are all of the same bird?  I ask, because the last one looks more like an immature LessBack than the subjects of either of the other two photos, the first of which looks like a Thayer's (but I wouldn't want to claim such on just that pic).