Whatbird Community

Save endangered 64 bird species in Northern Italy

:deciduous_tree: Help Save the Brixen Floodplain Forest and Its Wildlife! :owl:

Dear Forum Members,

We need your urgent support in protecting the precious Brixen floodplain forest and its unique biodiversity, especially endangered bird species. The planned expansion of the Progress Group’s high-tech plant threatens irreversible destruction to this vital habitat.

:bird: Save 64 Bird Species: The Brixen floodplain forest is a critical habitat for 64 bird species, including 29 species that breed in the area (Gray flycatcher, the wryneck, the gray woodpecker, the nightingale, the wood warbler, the hoopoe etc.)

:herb: Protect Irreplaceable Biodiversity: The loss of the floodplain forest and its habitats would be irreversible.

:deciduous_tree: Preserve an Ecologically Vital Habitat: The Brixen floodplain forest plays a crucial role in maintaining ecological balance. As one of the last riparian forests in the Eisack Valley, it provides a range of essential ecological services, including flood regulation, water purification, and carbon sequestration.

The Brixen floodplain forest is a treasure trove of biodiversity and one of the last of its kind in the Eisack Valley. With only 0.6% of South Tyrol’s forest area being riparian forests, they are exceptionally rare habitats. It provides a critical habitat for numerous bird species, both migratory and breeding.

The loss of the floodplain forest and destruction of habitats for 64 bird species are irreversible. Some bird species are already on the Red List of endangered species in South Tyrol, and we cannot let this situation worsen.

Join us in demanding that the Progress Group and authorities take responsible actions to preserve this unique forest landscape and protect its incredible flora and fauna for generations to come.

Sign and share this petition, and let’s make a difference together! :herb::dove:

#SaveBrixenFloodplainForest #ProtectOurHabitats #PreserveBiodiversity

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, SaveBrixenBirds said:

:deciduous_tree: Help Save the Brixen Floodplain Forest and Its Wildlife! :owl:

Dear Forum Members,

We need your urgent support in protecting the precious Brixen floodplain forest and its unique biodiversity, especially endangered bird species. The planned expansion of the Progress Group’s high-tech plant threatens irreversible destruction to this vital habitat.

:bird: Save 64 Bird Species: The Brixen floodplain forest is a critical habitat for 64 bird species, including 29 species that breed in the area (Gray flycatcher, the wryneck, the gray woodpecker, the nightingale, the wood warbler, the hoopoe etc.)

:herb: Protect Irreplaceable Biodiversity: The loss of the floodplain forest and its habitats would be irreversible.

:deciduous_tree: Preserve an Ecologically Vital Habitat: The Brixen floodplain forest plays a crucial role in maintaining ecological balance. As one of the last riparian forests in the Eisack Valley, it provides a range of essential ecological services, including flood regulation, water purification, and carbon sequestration.

The Brixen floodplain forest is a treasure trove of biodiversity and one of the last of its kind in the Eisack Valley. With only 0.6% of South Tyrol’s forest area being riparian forests, they are exceptionally rare habitats. It provides a critical habitat for numerous bird species, both migratory and breeding.

The loss of the floodplain forest and destruction of habitats for 64 bird species are irreversible. Some bird species are already on the Red List of endangered species in South Tyrol, and we cannot let this situation worsen.

Join us in demanding that the Progress Group and authorities take responsible actions to preserve this unique forest landscape and protect its incredible flora and fauna for generations to come.

Sign and share this petition, and let’s make a difference together! :herb::dove:

#SaveBrixenFloodplainForest #ProtectOurHabitats #PreserveBiodiversity

Shared the petition to bird forum! Hopefully that helps!

• Like 1

What organization is this associated with? Is this legit? Gray Flycatchers definitely don’t live in Italy, but is that a translation error? I would prefer not to click links that are unfamiliar or aren’t associated with a known organization.

Maybe I’m being a Scrooge, but some level of digital literacy is needed here folks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@DLecy actually it's just me, Lisa a student from Italy. I decided to create this petition as organizations turned their back on this issue and considered it as more strategic to shake hands with local politicians. 

They will destroy the forest I grew up with just next to me and nobody is doing anything about it. 

The link is definitely safe, the petition is on the platform "OpenPetition" and I think that no risk is associated with clicking on it. However, if you decide not to sign or support the cause because I'm not an official organization, I totally understand 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DLecy said:

What organization is this associated with? Is this legit? Gray Flycatchers definitely don’t live in Italy, but is that a translation error? I would prefer not to click links that are unfamiliar or aren’t associated with a known organization.

Maybe I’m being a Scrooge, but some level of digital literacy is needed here folks.

Very sensible if you ask me, which you didn't but anyway...

I saw this just after Zoroark posted, if he hadn't posted I'd probably removed it immediately thinking it was spam. But being it seemed legit I clicked it and it seems alright, I saw nothing for sale, nor could I find anything else wrong.

I'm not saying click the link or do it, but I didn't see anything obviously wrong.

7 hours ago, SaveBrixenBirds said:

I decided to create this petition as organizations turned their back on this issue and considered it as more strategic to shake hands with local politicians.

I admire your efforts but I don't know how much attention politicians will pay to an online petition that anyone can sign.  If the majority of the signers don't vote locally, I don't think the politicians are going to be persuaded.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Very sensible if you ask me, which you didn't but anyway...

I saw this just after Zoroark posted, if he hadn't posted I'd probably removed it immediately thinking it was spam. But being it seemed legit I clicked it and it seems alright, I saw nothing for sale, nor could I find anything else wrong.

I'm not saying click the link or do it, but I didn't see anything obviously wrong.

You originally thought it was spam but then you say twice you didn’t see anything wrong this post? That’s confusing to me.

As for the actual post, I’m really glad to hear it’s legit, and specially because this platform has been hit with lots of spam in the past 6 months. From a digital literacy perspective, it’s rife with problems. There are no authors stated, no sources cited, no organizational connection, and links without stated purpose other than to sign a petition…what is the petition trying to accomplish?

Perhaps some of the issues in the post are related to translation, and that makes sense, but I think my initial concern was definitely warranted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DLecy said:

You originally thought it was spam but then you say twice you didn’t see anything wrong this post? That’s confusing to me.

I'm saying I would have automatically assumed it was spam unless someone had already posted indicating it was real.

7 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I'm saying I would have automatically assumed it was spam unless someone had already posted indicating it was real.

Not necessarily a safe approach.  While I wouldn't bother taking such an approach to this site, it's quite common for Spammer A to post a link and Spammer B to say, "Hey, I clicked it and it was okay."

• Like 2