Whatbird Community

Fall Migration 2023

IKLland

On 9/7/2023 at 11:52 PM, Connor Cochrane said:

Interesting, I've done tons of NFCs and I never get Thrushes moving before 11 at the earliest. The only time I've heard early nocturnal movements like that is when I was in Texas with Dickcissel. 

That's interesting, I've experienced the opposite here. Though I haven't recorded all night (I don't have a remote setup), I've usually had the most thrush flight calls within the first few hours after sunset, and then again a few hours before sunrise, right up until dawn. This is usually most drastic in the fall though - I can't remember if I've ever had large thrush flight like these during spring migration. I don't think I have. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chipperatl said:

2.3M birds passed through last night…and it didn’t seem like a whole lot of them stayed.  It was nice for 45 minutes, then over an hour with no warblers.  

Rinse and repeat this morning, with less warblers.  I had more warbler individuals in my yard this afternoon than I saw in 2 hours at "The" warbler hotspot.  Did manage a very noisy FOY Northern Waterthrush.  

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 6:33 PM, IKLland said:

Looking like this is a BIG RBNU irruption year at least here in Cali. Anyone else having this experience?

It's kind of ridiculous how many RBNU are around this fall. I was vagrant hunting along the coast in Sonoma today and I had 23! In a typical year you're lucky to get 1-2 birding the same route. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here in SoCal, we have had a really poor fall for western migrants. Numbers are way down across the region, for unknown reasons. We're coming to the end of migrant season(however good numbers can still move through even until November of some species), but this is peak vagrant season. Vagrant numbers here have been around the average, with some good birds lately. All the wintering species seem to be a little late to arrive.