Whatbird Community

This afternoon I encountered a hawk in northwest Connecticut that I can't identify.   I went out on the deck to chase away a squirrel in the bird feeder.  When I did, a couple of mourning doves flew up from the ground and then the squirrel ran out from under the deck and ran around the corner of the house.  Almost immediately, a hawk landed on the ground near where I first saw the squirrel on the ground.  The hawk appeared to be about the size of a smallish crow, although built a little slimmer.  The hawk's back looked to me to be a rich brown color, rather than the grey I associate with Cooper's hawks.  It had a lighter colored belly, but I didn't see enough to distinguish any markings.  The hawk sat there for a few moments and then WALKED quickly around the corner of the house, in the same direction the squirrel went!!  Both the hawk's color and behavior stunned me.  Any ideas about what the hawk was?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Probably an immature Cooper's or Sharp-shinned.  Young Sharpies especially can have nearly solid brown backs and heads, like this one we saw: 1800

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 3

Thanks!  The brown color threw me off; but so did the behavior.  After I made  a lot of noise to scare the squirrel, I was amazed the hawk would come anywhere near me!

• Like 1

The behavior of pursuing birds or small mammals on the ground fits too. I've seen Cooper's do that in my neighborhood a few times.

• Like 1

I like sub-adult sharp-shinned for this one because of the bug-eyed look, dark nape, coarse streaking, and skinny legs.

Scott

8 hours ago, cavan wood said:

I like sub-adult sharp-shinned for this one because of the bug-eyed look, dark nape, coarse streaking, and skinny legs.

Scott

I know my photo is of a Sharpie.  I was showing donwturner what one can look like. :)

3 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I know my photo is of a Sharpie.  I was showing donwturner what one can look like. 🙂

Yes, I realized that after the fact.  Thought I had edited, but apparently not.

Scott

• Like 1