Whatbird Community

few small birds

NW Arkansas today...

I was certain I was hearing a lincoln's sparrow chip mixed in with what I was sure were indigo buntings. Bushy weeds, at least 4 or 5 birds in there but, all very hidden. This one bird did show itself some compared to the others but, I'm not so convinced it's a sparrow... in the field, the pattern on the back just looked completely sparrow to me, did NOT look like an indigo. But... this is the best pic I got of the bird. I stayed pretty hidden.

image.thumb.png.0994c321a1d9b6f8afcaf6e7a92f8396.png

This bird here... ugh... I don't know if I photographed the wrong bird. Was bad lighting, just not easy. Why can't bird sit still out in a well lit area? HA
I started taking photos because in my binoculars, somewhere, I saw what looked like a bay-breasted warbler.
But, I have no pictures that look like what I was seeing. Either I missed the bird or it was just the way I was seeing it that had certain colors in certain places...
Between what I think I saw, and this big bill, I'm thinking this is a house finch. Maybe that's all I saw? I'll never know.
House finch though?  Actually, no... this is just an indigo bunting isn't it?
I really hate poor light and poor detail photos. grrrr...

image.png.d1342482f92f7a4e672b2de8d9d2be65.png

Wilson's warbler? This one seems easy. In the field I wasn't picking up on any markings that well but it's the feel I had then. Real question here is about leg/feet color. I'll have to look in my guide at some point but for yellow colored warblers, does leg/feet color help with IDs ever?

image.png.5f9dde2922433fc3ac4dbf22bc863dc7.png

I have photos from other days I still need to go through. I love taking photos but, somehow don't enjoy going through them afterwards... hmmm... 

Best bird of the day was a Bell's vireo. Not one I see or hear at this location typically.

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

Wouldn't touch this with a hazmat suit and a twenty foot pole.  

Ha...

How about now? I should have lightened it in the first place. Sorry.
It looks weird to me but, I'm not seeing any facial markings like I'd expect on a sparrow around here... can't imagine it being anything but indigo at this point but, something about it's back is still just weird to me.

image.png.91c50231ce361b0625923ab74c9c4c50.png

1 hour ago, millipede said:

Ha...

How about now? I should have lightened it in the first place. Sorry.
It looks weird to me but, I'm not seeing any facial markings like I'd expect on a sparrow around here... can't imagine it being anything but indigo at this point but, something about it's back is still just weird to me.

image.png.91c50231ce361b0625923ab74c9c4c50.png

Indigo bunting for me

Edited by IKLland
  • Like 1