Whatbird Community
scrubjay4353

Immature gull (larus sp.) ID help wanted

Seen with a mixed flock of gulls at South Platte Reservoir in Littleton, Colorado on January 8, 2018. I am not good at IDing immature gulls. I looked through all the larger Larus gulls and nothing looked exactly like this; probably molting between plumages. A note about size: the bird was significantly larger than the nearby Ring-billed Gulls. Thanks for the ID help. 

IMG_7605 - Edited (2).jpg

IMG_7604 - Edited.jpg

Maybe Glaucous-winged? 2nd Winter? Do you have an uncropped photo showing the whole bird in the right of the frame? Is that a Herring?

Sure  do! The bird to the right is just a Ring-billed, but there is a Herring Gull to the left. The possible Glaucous-winged appears to be similar-sized to the Herring, possibly a tad larger. Glaucous-winged crossed my mind as I was uploading my original post, I thought I was crazy. Glaucous-winged is a pretty nice bird for Colorado! 

IMG_7603 - Edited.jpg

IMG_7605 - Edited (3).jpg

I am not an expert, but it was the only thing I could come up with. There's a Facebook group called North American Gulls with a lot of really good gull ID'ers.

I think Glaucous-winged fits best as well, and I will ask on the "North American Gulls" facebook group. Thanks for the ID help as well as the suggestion.