Whatbird Community
scrubjay4353

Mallard x Mexican Duck hybrid?

Saw this one at Ketring Lake in Littleton, Colorado on January 8, 2018. With about thirty Mallard. The bird looked essentially like a female Mallard, but was a tad larger, male Mallard sized,  with a yellow bill, like a male. Thanks for the help on this one. 

IMG_7563 - Edited (2).jpg

IMG_7569 - Edited (1).jpg

22 hours ago, scrubjay4353 said:

No, also its bill is yellow, unlike a female Mallard's orange and dark gray. 

Come to think of it, there also seems to be some green feathering on the head.  I might change my vote.  But I'm far from an expert on these things.

If nobody else speaks up here, you might want to ask somewhere else, if you haven't already.  And there's always the method of reporting it on eBird and seeing what the reviewer says.

• Like 1

I'm seeing whitish tail, broad leading edge to speculum, pale eye line, hints of green in otherwise pale crown, dark mottling on the bill.  When do immature male mallards molt to adult plumage?

Scott

I believe its way too late for any Mallard to molt. The bill color is male and those markings dont look like normal splotching. Anecdotally, Colorado seems to have Mexican intergrades in winter. If not for the slightly greenish head it looks like a Mexican,  I say it's an Intergrade male.