Whatbird Community
SmoothPebble

Please confirm or correct: Juvenile Bald Eagle

Taken today in Apalachicola, FL. 

It pays to take your camera everywhere you go.   Was sitting in line, waiting on road repair crew and this beauty was flying overhead.  Stuck my head and camera out the window and took these pictures.  Have seen many adult Bald Eagles in the vicinity and this one was about the same size as the adults (HUGE!).

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1542.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

• Like 1

Yes, immature Bald Eagle. Looks like a 2nd year bird. Nice shots, given the conditions!!

EDIT: Could be a 3rd year bird, going by my Sibley's. I'm no expert on these by any means!!

Edited by Bird Brain

I agree with young Bald Eagle....and with the fact that it pays to take your camera everywhere you go!

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 1

Not a juvenile.  The white back and white belly are not features of juvenile plumage in Bald Eagle (which are pale-brown-bellied and brown-backed).  The fairly extensive yellow on the beak is also not a feature of juveniles.  The combo of white belly/back and yellow on beak strongly suggest a bird in third basic plumage and, depending upon where it was produced, being within a couple months on one side or another of two years old.

• Like 1