Whatbird Community

ATTENTION CALIFORNIA BIRDERS

IKLland

Copied and pasted from the original messenger. This is a must join for all California birders.

Hello birders,

I would like to take this moment to make everyone aware of California’s Birding Discord group, and would cordially invite all to join with this invite link:

https://discord.gg/fuC7uwZ2

Apologies if this is not what the listserv is intended for, but I believe this is too great of a tool not to share with you all. Why do we need another group? Isn’t the old way just fine? Who kidnapped Bean-goose and what were their intentions? All of these questions (besides maybe the last one) will be elaborated upon.

Our goal is to unify all of California under one group. There are designated channels for each county, a statewide RBA, discussion chats for each area, etc, all within the same group. Discord is an app meant for large-scale group messaging (far superior to Whatsapp, Groupme) with the ability to add or remove channels as needed. If you’re taking a trip to Morro Bay for the weekend, all you have to do is enable notifications for the SLO County RBA, and you’ll receive messages until you want them muted again. 

There is also a rare bird alert channel that is automatically synchronized via eBird. I’m sure many of you receive the email alerts from eBird either hourly or daily, so you’ll be able to get these notifications as well all within the same app. 

I’m aware many may be reluctant to try an unfamiliar app, so there is a “How to Use Discord” doc to get a feel for the basics, and we’re available to answer any questions you may have as well. We are just getting the ball rolling with this project, so we’re also taking input from all on how the Discord can better serve the birding community. Some ideas are an ID help channel, and a channel to help compile CBCs. Many states have already made the switch over to Discord with fantastic results (the Arizona one is great to check out for inspiration). 

If none of this interests you feel free to ignore. For the rest of you, I hope to see you all in there contributing to help the California birding community while helping to unify the birdiest state in the nation. Thanks.

Omar Alui

Pasadena, CA

_._,_._,_
  • Like 4

On 9/25/2023 at 1:36 PM, chipperatl said:

Sound very similar to what Michigan is doing

One’s getting started here in Washington too. I was chatting with one of our admins and he mentioned they used the Michigan server as a template. It isn’t too active yet but I’m hopeful it replaces the other What’s App groups and listservs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Colton V said:

I want Oregon to do this. But I think a lot of people would complain about the change. 

That’s what’s happening here. The older folks won’t join or use this; so now we have two platforms being used at once which kinda sucks but it is what it is. Thankfully we have a lot of people in it already.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IKLland said:

That’s what’s happening here. The older folks won’t join or use this; so now we have two platforms being used at once which kinda sucks but it is what it is. Thankfully we have a lot of people in it already.  

I think Facebook still takes up a lot of use, especially for the casual birders or birdwatchers.  I can see on the archives still a lot of activity on one of the Michigan listserves too.  Good thing is both of those are getting passed on to Discord relatively quicky I think.  

21 hours ago, neilpa said:

One’s getting started here in Washington too. I was chatting with one of our admins and he mentioned they used the Michigan server as a template. It isn’t too active yet but I’m hopeful it replaces the other What’s App groups and listservs.

At first some of the county groupings bugged me, but I'm okay with it now.  Trying to get people to identify the county, of the 4 we are grouped with, on what they report.  Now I just know by their name they are reporting in a county I am not worried about.  

• Like 2

On 9/25/2023 at 4:36 PM, chipperatl said:

Sound very similar to what Michigan is doing.....and I love it.  Way better than the listserv e-mails, and I feel like the Michigan community is a bit more connected now.  Less feeling like you are getting information 3rd and 4th hand on e-mails.  

Yeah, discord has certainly permanently changed Michigan birding for the better. I can't believe we were still using WhatsApp (capped at 256 members or something) and Facebook as the fastest way to get bird info just a few years ago.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2023 at 11:52 AM, IKLland said:

Copied and pasted from the original messenger. This is a must join for all California birders.

Hello birders,

I would like to take this moment to make everyone aware of California’s Birding Discord group, and would cordially invite all to join with this invite link:

https://discord.gg/fuC7uwZ2

Apologies if this is not what the listserv is intended for, but I believe this is too great of a tool not to share with you all. Why do we need another group? Isn’t the old way just fine? Who kidnapped Bean-goose and what were their intentions? All of these questions (besides maybe the last one) will be elaborated upon.

Our goal is to unify all of California under one group. There are designated channels for each county, a statewide RBA, discussion chats for each area, etc, all within the same group. Discord is an app meant for large-scale group messaging (far superior to Whatsapp, Groupme) with the ability to add or remove channels as needed. If you’re taking a trip to Morro Bay for the weekend, all you have to do is enable notifications for the SLO County RBA, and you’ll receive messages until you want them muted again. 

There is also a rare bird alert channel that is automatically synchronized via eBird. I’m sure many of you receive the email alerts from eBird either hourly or daily, so you’ll be able to get these notifications as well all within the same app. 

I’m aware many may be reluctant to try an unfamiliar app, so there is a “How to Use Discord” doc to get a feel for the basics, and we’re available to answer any questions you may have as well. We are just getting the ball rolling with this project, so we’re also taking input from all on how the Discord can better serve the birding community. Some ideas are an ID help channel, and a channel to help compile CBCs. Many states have already made the switch over to Discord with fantastic results (the Arizona one is great to check out for inspiration). 

If none of this interests you feel free to ignore. For the rest of you, I hope to see you all in there contributing to help the California birding community while helping to unify the birdiest state in the nation. Thanks.

Omar Alui

Pasadena, CA

_._,_._,_

I get an error when I clicked on the link.  Wasn't necessarily going to join but wanted to add it to the Michigan Discord list of other states Discord.  That way anyone traveling to Cali could join for updates.  

I've never used Whatsapp, Facebook, or listserv.  When I'm with other Carolina birders, these apps haven't come up (except derisive comments about FB in general).  In short, I'm unfamiliar with what Discord is being used to replace.

It doesn't appear I can access the content without creating an account, something I'm reluctant to do.  That's probably because I'm so used to (attempting to) protect my privacy; I'm reluctant to create new accounts in plenty of other places.  It's also that I don't want to have too many to keep up with.  It's probably an attitude that doing so is equivalent to making a commitment, or maybe that I've seen so many social sites come and go.

Is there a way to see what this does without signing on?  And can someone with access tell if there's a group for the Carolinas?

Thanks.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I've never used Whatsapp, Facebook, or listserv.  When I'm with other Carolina birders, these apps haven't come up (except derisive comments about FB in general).  In short, I'm unfamiliar with what Discord is being used to replace.

It doesn't appear I can access the content without creating an account, something I'm reluctant to do.  That's probably because I'm so used to (attempting to) protect my privacy; I'm reluctant to sign up for new account in plenty of other places.

Is there a way to see what this does without signing on?  And can someone with access tell if there's a group for the Carolinas?

Thanks.

I can provide some screenshots later this evening of the Michigan one.  It basically is similar to a forum, like here, but with Michigan specific channels.  We have various channels (topics) for all kinds of stuff.

• Resources section
    • Tech Support
    • Maps section for some of the bigger hotspots in the state
    • How To
    • Banding Code Search
  • Michigan Wide
    • Rare Bird Alert for the whole state
    • Rare Bird Chat - chat about RBA birds as to not clutter up the actual RBA
    • They will then add in a new topic related to a specific rare bird, such as the Limpkin currently in my county.
  • Various county sections
    • Some counties have their own channel, others have multiple counties
    • Each county has an RBA and a Chat section
    • Some may have specific channel for an existing bird club
    • At least one county section even has a voice channel, basically audio zoom section that is always open
  • World Birding section
    • Great Lakes RBA and Chat channels - these are for reports in the area, as some people aren't limited by boundaries for their twitching
    • U.S. Birding - various sightings around the U.S., asking for advice for places to bird in other states, trip reports outside the state
    • World Birding - same as U.S.
  • Discussion Channels
    • General - all kinds of just general stuff
    • Bird ID Help
    • Brdl
    • Equipment and gear, chat and buy-sell-trade
    • Photo sharing
    • eBird Help
    • Conservation
    • A few channels for women, bipoc and birdability specific
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Also you can sign up for alerts to specific channels to get alerts on the phone app to tell you when there is a new post there.  I have alerts for statewide, and then a couple of counties near me and then also my county.  Also for the county specific Limpkin channel now.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope I blurred out everything I should have to respect others privacy.  First screenshot shows the Resources, Michigan Wide RBA related and then a few county channels.  I should have expanded everything out.  Upper Peninsula has 6 channels under it, with one specifically dedicated to Whitefish Point RBA.  

2nd shows my county, which includes 3 other counties in it.  

3rd shows the World Birding and Discussion channels

4th just shows the different actions you can do to each post.  

These are all from the Mac Desktop app.  Ipad app looks similar and the Phone app is just a shrunk down version.  

image.jpeg.968ff657b9320b371f5579b9044a16dc.jpegimage.jpeg.cc2530314fc751fb0b0193a09ae0cca5.jpeg

Screen-Shot-2023-10-03-at-5.29.24-PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-10-03 at 5.39.10 PM Large.jpeg

Edited by chipperatl
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chipperatl said:

I hope I blurred out everything I should have to respect others privacy.  First screenshot shows the Resources, Michigan Wide RBA related and then a few county channels.  I should have expanded everything out.  Upper Peninsula has 6 channels under it, with one specifically dedicated to Whitefish Point RBA.  

2nd shows my county, which includes 3 other counties in it.  

3rd shows the World Birding and Discussion channels

4th just shows the different actions you can do to each post.  

These are all from the Mac Desktop app.  Ipad app looks similar and the Phone app is just a shrunk down version.  

image.jpeg.968ff657b9320b371f5579b9044a16dc.jpegimage.jpeg.cc2530314fc751fb0b0193a09ae0cca5.jpeg

Screen-Shot-2023-10-03-at-5.29.24-PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-10-03 at 5.39.10 PM Large.jpeg

Set up almost identically to the California one! It really is a great platform. The only issue as I said before is not everybody has/is going to join, so now everything is in three different places, discord, WhatsApp, and listserves. 

10 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Set up almost identically to the California one! It really is a great platform. The only issue as I said before is not everybody has/is going to join, so now everything is in three different places, discord, WhatsApp, and listserves. 

What you will see eventually is those still on other platforms will have someone on Discord just forwarding on the reports.  That still happens on the Michigan one.  You will see someone say "So-and-so spotted a Dodo bird at We-all-wish-it State Park".  You know that "So-and-so" does eBird or uses the other platforms, just not Discord.  

BTW someone literally reported a Dodo bird on a Michigan checklist.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

What you will see eventually is those still on other platforms will have someone on Discord just forwarding on the reports.  That still happens on the Michigan one.  You will see someone say "So-and-so spotted a Dodo bird at We-all-wish-it State Park".  You know that "So-and-so" does eBird or uses the other platforms, just not Discord.  

BTW someone literally reported a Dodo bird on a Michigan checklist.  

This one’s better 

IMG_2408.png

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, IKLland said:

I know telegram is also used widely, at least up here in the Bay Area, I can’t seem to make an account though…

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, is there a new active link for this discord anywhere? I was birding today in Long Beach looking at the rare ancient murrelet that showed up, and someone mentioned finding it via a discord. After some googling I assume she meant this server. I'd love to join it, but none of the links on this thread are still active. Got a current link? Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skrapple said:

Hi, is there a new active link for this discord anywhere? I was birding today in Long Beach looking at the rare ancient murrelet that showed up, and someone mentioned finding it via a discord. After some googling I assume she meant this server. I'd love to join it, but none of the links on this thread are still active. Got a current link? Thanks!

https://discord.gg/PKmDTxpH