Whatbird Community
Jim Simon

Should be brown headed cowbird but...

Photographed the bird last February in Lodi, CA. It almost fits a female brown headed cowbird except it has yellowish eyes. It is pretty much a match for a female  bronzed cowbird however the locale is way off. Here’s a photo off my monitor. Anyone have an ID?

image.jpg

Welcome to Whatbird!!

Interesting bird. The bill doesn't look heavy enough for a Cowbird to me, and the yellow iris doesn't fit either. Maybe a female Brewer's Blackbird? My Sibley's shows that they can sometimes have a yellow iris.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bird Brain said:

Welcome to Whatbird!!

Interesting bird. The bill doesn't look heavy enough for a Cowbird to me, and the yellow iris doesn't fit either. Maybe a female Brewer's Blackbird? My Sibley's shows that they can sometimes have a yellow iris.

I think it looks more like a female Brewer's Blackbird too but hesitated to post a response...I'm trying to be more careful if I'm not 100% positive so I don't give wrong information. 🙂 

The throat is not white, the tail is too long -- it's not a cowbird of any sort.  A pale-eyed female Brewer's seems the most likely option, though a very laggard-molting immature male Brewer's should be considered.

• Like 1