Whatbird Community
RobinHood

The "Three Amigos" - Amigo 3 ID?

Southern Ontario.

These three characters arrived together about three weeks ago.

Amigo 1 was posted previously and the consensus seemed to be Muscovy/Mallard hybrid (although not accepted by eBird reviewer who prefers domestic Mallard which is fine, I would not want their job).

Amigos 1 and 3 went off and spent some remote time together. Today Amigos 2 and 3 are hanging out together with the local Mallard population.

Amigo 1 definitely prefers to be land based, very reluctant to go waterborne unless food is being offered and very comfortable close to people - domestic duck origins?

Amigos 1 and 2 are at least 50% larger than a Mallard, whereas Amigo 3 is Mallard size.

1 and 2 are therefore probably domestic origins but not sure about 3 -  Leucistic Mallard?

All comments/observations appreciated.

Muscovy-Mallard Duck HVT-7207846.jpg

Escapee 2 HVT-7208328.jpg

Escapee 3 HVT-7208326.jpg

1 & 2 are both domestics.  1 def has muscovy in it and probs mallard.

2 looks all mallard to me, but of domestic origin and it should be hooked to a sleigh for pulling children around in the snow.

3 has mallard in it (domestic) but there seems to be something else going on....don't know.

Disclaimer: My knowledge of domestics comes almost completely from this forum.

Scott

Love the response Scott, I suspect we are on the same page - I am learning so much from this site.

Amigo 3 appears to have a female Mallard bill but after that I don't know.

For me it is fascinating that all three arrived together December 1.

Thanks again.

All three look like domestic Muscovy x Mallards.  The third one has the black edging on the bill and the white eyering of a Muscovy.

1 hour ago, RobinHood said:

Amigo 1 definitely prefers to be land based, very reluctant to go waterborne

Not to disagree with an eBird reviewer, because those guys bust their humps, but I recall reading somewhere that Muscovys prefer to be on land.  Has anyone else heard this, or am I having another senior moment?

Does the local DOT require Amigo 2 to honk when he's backing up?  That bird looks like it's the missing link between ducks and geese.  Probably has red and green lights on the wing tips.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Not to disagree with an eBird reviewer, because those guys bust their humps, but I recall reading somewhere that Muscovys prefer to be on land.  Has anyone else heard this, or am I having another senior moment?

Does the local DOT require Amigo 2 to honk when he's backing up?  That bird looks like it's the missing link between ducks and geese.  Probably has red and green lights on the wing tips.

Amigo 1 hangs out on an elevated area next to the resident duck population. When the occasional visitor walks there he will do anything to avoid going into the water - moves downhill but resolutely stays on the edge of the water. TBH bird behavior is more "my thing" than ID (not difficult to determine).

Always appreciate your comments Charlie.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

All three look like domestic Muscovy x Mallards.  The third one has the black edging on the bill and the white eyering of a Muscovy.

You're right of course, especially the second.  Domestics are virtually all mallards or muscovy and so where else would you get eye rings.  But that third one...pintail?

Scott

2 minutes ago, RobinHood said:

TBH bird behavior is more "my thing" than ID (not difficult to determine).

Hey, don't belittle your observations.  Behavior is often a very useful clue to identification.  I wish I spent more time observing it in detail, although having a cooperative bird certainly must help!

29 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Thanks Bird Nuts. Now you mention it I see the white eye-ring on all three - just a major discrepancy in size between 1/2 and 3.

I'm not sure why there is such a reluctance to accept Muscovy/Mallard hybrids - for Canada at least there are only a handful of accepted observations (not trying to be controversial, genuinely wondering why).

Thanks again.

16 minutes ago, cavan wood said:

You're right of course, especially the second.  Domestics are virtually all mallards or muscovy and so where else would you get eye rings.  But that third one...pintail?

Scott

Interestingly, the first reaction of another far more expert birder than me also thought Pintail influence!!

I am personally more interested in how these three arrived together - joint escape, or naturally got together.

@RobinHood Over the years I have purchased some baby ducks at local farm feed stores for my farm. I always let them free range during the day and put them up safe for the night. Typically the breeds I have gotten over the years were Rouen, Pekin, Cayuga, Khaki Campbell (non flyers) and Mallard or Mallard x. I had one female Mallard x that was an excellent flyer. One day a passing flock of mallards flew by and she decided to join them. This is one way that those 3 could have escaped together and joined a wild flock. Muscovy are excellent flyers, very comfortable on land (even sleeping in trees) and more goose like than duck. As far as difference in size I guess it depends on who was Mom and who was Dad :) All the domestic ducks are typically bred very large for dual purpose - meat and egg.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1