Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
WarrenHatch

Canvasback hybrid?

I this a hybrid?   if so, any thoughts about what other than Canvasback might be  involved?

Photographed this week on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Thanks!

_DSC1762.jpg

Not molt.  Such white is a frequent feature (though only in a minority) of Redhead and Ring-necked Duck females and I've seen it only rarely in female Cans; I've never noted it in a male.  Interesting.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 3:34 PM, Tony Leukering said:

Not molt.  Such white is a frequent feature (though only in a minority) of Redhead and Ring-necked Duck females and I've seen it only rarely in female Cans; I've never noted it in a male.  Interesting.

@Tony Leukering, I was wondering if you have gained any more insight on this abnormality in male Canvasbacks throughout the past year. I photographed a very similar male in Maryland fairly recently and would greatly appreciate it if you could share more knowledge about these rare finds. Thanks!

0K2A6175.thumb.jpg.e955e64205f4e1da05243d1c7368bb70.jpg

On 1/9/2020 at 3:41 PM, akandula said:

Bump for @Tony Leukering. I realize that both of the birds are Canvasbacks -- I'm curious what exactly is causing the white that you can see on the head.

Good darned question. I have no idea. I'd guess leucism, but that's all it is: a guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw a Canvasback last year (2019) that had white on it's head. But I did not know that was not some what common.

Edited by Kevin