Whatbird Community

Dallas TX Area 11/15/23

1 hour ago, Caley Thomas 2.0 said:

Tough to tell from the video, but I'm wondering about Loggerhead Shrike here?  Did the bird make any sounds?  If so, compare with Loggerhead Shrike sounds on Merlin perhaps...

Good suggestion. Unfortunately, no I did not hear the bird make any noise as I watched it. Definitely looks like a possibility, though.

Edited by Greyhawk

3 minutes ago, Greyhawk said:

Good suggestion. Unfortunately, no I did not hear the bird make any noise as I watched it. Definitely looks like a possibility, though.

Just the way that it's sitting at the crown of that roof so boldly gave me that impression (acting more like a predator and less like prey, somewhat unique in that apparent size of bird, plus the rough GISS captured in the video).  Curious what others may think here...

32 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

This bird is unidentifiable, but my impression is Northern Flicker.

Having a little better view in person, I don't think it was a Flicker.

20 minutes ago, Avery said:

What about Robin with some insane glare?

Robins are common here, though I haven't seen one in a few months. I didn't get a Robin impression from it.

Looking at some videos of Loggerhead Shrikes from similar distances, they really seem to match what I was seeing, but I'm still interested in other theories. And never having knowingly seen one in person before sort of explains why I was so mystified.

2 hours ago, Caley Thomas 2.0 said:

And with that, I defer to unidentifiable.  (When in doubt, go with Aidan B for my two cents).

Yeah, I'm not the ABA. If I don't get a better competing theory, I'm adding Loggerhead Shrike to my "Other Species Seen on Property" list. 😉

At the 0:05 mark, the bill appears too long for a shrike.  Personally, I've seen shrikes only on perches they could completely wrap their feet around, like branches or wires, not on flat surfaces.  Obviously that doesn't mean they don't, only that I haven't seen them do so.

I'm on Team Unidentifiable.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

16 hours ago, IKLland said:

unidentifiable but what about mockingbird?

Mockingbirds are very common here, but I definitely didn't think it was one.

And, while I haven't seen it again, I have heard some odd whistling calls that could be a Loggerhead Shrike, or it might just be the power of suggestion.