Whatbird Community

Female Common Grackle?

8 hours ago, IKLland said:

Isn’t this a grackle? Bill is too large for RUBL and tail too long. Shape is too elongated for blackbird IMO. I can very well be wrong though.

AFAIK the face pattern is unique to Rusty and Brewer's. This bird may actually look better for non-breeding male Brewer's (I have no experience with the species) but it would be extremely rare for location.

Time for an expert?

• Confused 1

It's a female (or immature male?) so the tail is shorter. The color patern, with a reddish brown body and dark wings and tail is what you expect of a Boat-tailed Grackle (no Great-tailed on the east coast). Common would be more uniformly dark. BTGR are quite common on the coast in NJ where I live and in NY too  I suppose. 

16 hours ago, blackburnian said:

This is a Boat-tailed Grackle

Blackburnian is the go-to here I believe.  Apparently the Boat-tailed Grackle can look very similar to a Rusty Blackbird (limited experience with both species here), and I keep coming back to the heavy-looking bill in the OP photo (kudos IKLand), which really leans more grackle than blackbird upon closer examination.  Sorry for the confusion on my part!

It’s worth noting that Boat-tailed Grackles are almost twice as long and three times as heavy as Rusty Blackbirds. Size isn’t often well represented in photos of single birds, so it helps to pay attention to this feature in the field, when possible. 

• Like 6