Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Pine Warbler???


Recommended Posts

The harsh lighting made it impossible for my eyes to see what was on the feeders, so I snapped a few pics to see the details that my eyes couldn't make out. Turns out there was a Pine Warbler on the suet but I am having some doubts due to what looks like yellow/orange under tail coverts, and the size of the beak. Please confirm that this is a Pine Warbler and not an out of place oriole. 

DL6A4291.thumb.JPG.7524e5007bd4379321cd3d7c409fa0bf.JPG

 

 

DL6A4295.thumb.jpg.04d52314f4678a797b8e1000e9ec459f.jpg

 

 

DL6A4301.thumb.jpg.e6224d9bdcffb55284c721e6155872d8.jpg

 

DL6A4302.thumb.jpg.7cb63e2ce82eedefe2d15cbb294d0133.jpg

 

DL6A4306.thumb.jpg.87631969e6c2db6a625c47acffcf5a30.jpg

 

Thanks.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Aidan B said:

No, you're right, it's an oriole. I'll be the first to admit I'm terrible at this ID, but I'm of the opinion this is probably a Bullock's. 

Merlin agreed with your opinion but the range issue made me doubtful. I failed to mention that this was in Waterloo County, Ontario, so this guy is a long way from home.

Edited by aveschapinas
Correction requested by original poster.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

Merlin agreed with your opinion but the range issue made me doubtful. I failed to mention that this was in Wellington County, Ontario, so this guy is a long way from home.

Maybe immature Baltimore Oriole in that case?  I'm not great with Orioles of this nature either unfortunately...Definitely seems late, but Baltimore is perhaps more likely for that location at earlier times of the fall..please take with a grain of salt here...

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Caley Thomas 2.0 said:

Maybe immature Baltimore Oriole in that case?  I'm not great with Orioles of this nature either unfortunately...Definitely seems late, but Baltimore is perhaps more likely for that location at earlier times of the fall..please take with a grain of salt here...

I see plenty of Baltimore Orioles and the thought crossed my mind at first, but too many things just didn't feel right. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

I see plenty of Baltimore Orioles and the thought crossed my mind at first, but too many things just didn't feel right. 

Yep I would ultimately defer to Aidan B on this one - this ID is just a bit too far above my pay grade at this time, but looking at Sibley's, I''m starting to lean Bullock's myself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm in Southern Ontario and my first thought was immature Baltimore, although I've never seen one quite this late, but looks better for Bullock's which would be extremely rare. Definitely worth reporting to get an expert review.

We had a young male Summer Tanager appear a few days ago, only the second county record so why not.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, RobinHood said:

I just checked my immature Baltimore photos, mostly males, but this bird has somewhat similar head colour and amount of grey below but a much more contrasting back pattern than the OP bird  so I don't know, but still leaning Bullock's.

Baltimore Oriole McKRd-4373.jpg

Same here (leaning Bullock's).  Note how the bird pictured here has more of a brownish coloration to the back as opposed to the more grayish coloration on the OP's photos too...(Sibley's pointed out this different in the Baltimore-Bullock's comparison on the app)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For what it's worth, I ran these and other photos through Merlin and every one of them came back as Bullocks. I don't put 100% faith in Merlin, but when it repeatedly suggests Bullock's first and Baltimore second, it supports my initial feeling that it's not a Baltimore. I am far from being confident though and would like to hear @DLecy's thoughts on this bird also.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

Thanks for editing the location @aveschapinas. Kind of embarrassing to admit that I forgot that I moved to the neighboring county three years ago. 😅

For those that didn't notice the edit, this bird was seen in Waterloo County, Ontario.

Only us old folks get embarrased by things like this! The kids just shrug it off; nobody accusing them of losing their marbles LOL!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks pretty good for Bullock’s. The patterning of the serration (asymmetrical) on the median coverts is suggestive, but I find this field mark to be quite variable and tough to gauge. The significant dark centers on the scapulars seems like an okay field mark for immature male BUOR. The coloration and placement of brightest colors on the face and head, and the dark on the crown also seems better for BUOR. That being said, caution is warranted, and there are birds in this species pair that are not able to be identified to species. This appears like it would be a significant record for the location, so I would be cautious. You could always put it on eBird and say that the ID is tentative.

Here in Northern California we don’t see too many BAOR, so I would want to be sure that Baltimore is sufficiently ruled out here. That being said, seems like a decent candidate for Bullock’s.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Looks pretty good for Bullock’s. The patterning of the serration (asymmetrical) on the median coverts is suggestive, but I find this field mark to be quite variable and tough to gauge. The significant dark centers on the scapulars seems like an okay field mark for immature male BUOR. The coloration and placement of brightest colors on the face and head, and the dark on the crown also seems better for BUOR. That being said, caution is warranted, and there are birds in this species pair that are not able to be identified to species. This appears like it would be a significant record for the location, so I would be cautious. You could always put it on eBird and say that the ID is tentative.

Here in Northern California we don’t see too many BAOR, so I would want to be sure that Baltimore is sufficiently ruled out here. That being said, seems like a decent candidate for Bullock’s.

How rare are Baltimore’s up there in NorCal? They’re really not that rare down here, especially along the coast where there’s parks with lots of eucalyptus. We have a park here that’s bad 2-3 wintering for the last few years. I still think this is a bullock’s but I know there’s variation with Baltimore. Would a Baltimore in Ontario in mid November be out of the realm of possibility, or is it fairly common for a few stragglers? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...