Whatbird Community

Pine Warbler???

20 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Would a Baltimore in Ontario in mid November be out of the realm of possibility, or is it fairly common for a few stragglers? 

I don't know how late the stragglers linger, but Baltimore Orioles are typically early migrators, leaving my area mid to late August. I don't recall ever seeing them in September and I suspect that a November sighting might be just as rare as a Bullocks sighting.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, IKLland said:

How rare are Baltimore’s up there in NorCal? They’re really not that rare down here, especially along the coast where there’s parks with lots of eucalyptus. We have a park here that’s bad 2-3 wintering for the last few years. I still think this is a bullock’s but I know there’s variation with Baltimore. Would a Baltimore in Ontario in mid November be out of the realm of possibility, or is it fairly common for a few stragglers? 

It’s an important question that I don’t know the answer to; how *rare would a BAOR be at this location at this date?

Baltimore Orioles are much less common here than in Southern California. There is no doubt that a few winter locally, but I would argue much less so than in SoCal. Kinda like the pattern of Pine Warblers and how many winter in Northern California versus Southern California.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DLecy said:

It’s an important question that I don’t know the answer to; how *rare would a BAOR be at this location at this date?

eBird has 3 November records of Bullock's Oriole for all years in Ontario. By contrast, there are over 25 locations in the province with November Baltimore Oriole records.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I broke down last night and stumbled through my first ever checklist for eBird. I must have done something right because I got an email almost instantly congratulating me on the first regional sighting. I'm not sure what happens next but I guess the sighting is now official, or at least in the queue to becoming official.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

I'm not sure what happens next but I guess the sighting is now official, or at least in the queue to becoming official.

It was posted on the county Rare Bird Alert channel by one of the top Ontario birders. Not confirmed yet but will be for sure.

PS. Well done for posting.

Edited by RobinHood
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

Well, I broke down last night and stumbled through my first ever checklist for eBird. I must have done something right because I got an email almost instantly congratulating me on the first regional sighting. I'm not sure what happens next but I guess the sighting is now official, or at least in the queue to becoming official.

Let us know if you need any help with eBird.  There's also a great tutorial - https://academy.allaboutbirds.org/product/ebird-essentials/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1