Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
meghann

Who wants to play "Count the duckies"?

Anyone who might be bored, and/or is really good at this type of thing, that would like to help me do a count of these ducks in these photos? My eyes are going buggy trying to do it. Hopefully you can zoom in. If not, and you REALLY want to do it, PM me, and I'll get you the full size copies. :classic_biggrin: These were taken in South Georgia over the weekend. (Watch for overlap in the photos!)

wYRkiXh.jpg

kS2AWrO.jpg

KBhvBG8.jpg

3880nq6.jpg

htTsYbe.jpg

gnSPSmT.jpg

r6fWhy0.jpg

2Y6s2Oj.jpg

bTJg2nI.jpg

02ksWM7.jpg

• Like 1

Species definitely seen through the binoculars: Canvasback, Redhead, Ring-necked. Maybe a Gadwall, but that could have been a female something or other. (And two Canada Geese, but I'm more interested in the ducks.)

33 minutes ago, Jim W said:

(give or take 1000)

😀

You sure? Not 8? :classic_tongue:

Can you believe this is a pond at someone's house?!?!? Oh, if only. . .

• Like 2

For perspective, here was most of the view from the road. (The right and left ends of the pond are cut off in the photo.)

nK5izTJ.jpg

4 hours ago, meghann said:

For perspective, here was most of the view from the road. (The right and left ends of the pond are cut off in the photo.)

nK5izTJ.jpg

I'd like to have that big tree in the middle!

REDH: 410

CANV: 90

RNDU: 2

LESC: 80

COGO candidates: 2

GRSC: 4

RUDU candidates: 3

Teal candidates: 3

My eyes hurt now :classic_blink:

EDIT: I can tell you where all the other ones are if you're interested

Edited by Melierax

There are some photos with a house in them. Do you have any more from that area? There's a good candidate for Red-breasted Merganser sitting behind the bush in the water. Long and low with a peaked forehead but I'm not sure if the camera is skewing things because of the bush.

Edited by Melierax

Wow, thanks! I know it's not an easy task, especially because my lens is literally the worst piece of glass Nikon ever made. Someday I'll own a distance lens worth a darn, someday. . .

I'll look through my photos and see if I have any others of the area in question.

• Like 1

Also, COGO would be a big deal, so where are you seeing that possibility, and I'll have a look.

11 hours ago, meghann said:

Also, COGO would be a big deal, so where are you seeing that possibility, and I'll have a look.

In the very center photo with the giant tree in back, there are some with head shapes very similar to COGO.

I would certainly not call it on this photo, but the way the back of the head curves the opposite direction looks like COGO.

786927089_3880nq6crop.jpg.0e112217c0de202582ed6b3a23f03cfc.jpg

And what about Greater Scaup? They seem to have a similar range within Georgia as Common Goldeneye.612988945_bTJg2nIcrop.thumb.jpg.3ed57ca3c8cc34b29beacf0b9479efef.jpg

Edited by Melierax