Whatbird Community

1 hour ago, spoonbill21 said:

230328445_IMG_4215(2).thumb.JPG.422f931e54758b0946188f575c8ab891.JPG

Not sure what this is, was thinking maybe goldfinch but I don't think they are very common down here.

Do you have any more photos?  According to my Sibley's, American Goldfinches winter across all of Texas. And, Texas is a migration route for Western Tanagers.  🙂 

Hmm, I had assumed that the black was only the wings, because of the angle of the photo. (And the apparent complete lack of yellow) 

I'd feel better if I saw the face, though. Then I'd be sure one way or another.

Western Tanager was my first impression too. The double wingbars fit, and there seems to be yellow in one and a bit of reddish color around the face.

Black extends in a straight line from the shoulder across the back. This is a Western Tanager. In an American Goldfinch, the top stripe is not visible.

• Like 1

This is for sure a Western Tanager. While an interesting site, I don’t like to rely on iNat to get IDs. Frankly speaking, there are a lot of people making IDs on there who don’t really know what they’re doing.

• Like 2