Whatbird Community

Photo Calendar

It's been over a decade since I've had any photo calendars printed and I'm wondering if there's a better method than using Vistaprint, which was one of the better deals back when I had mine done, I think. I have had very few images printed over the years and although I did my research years ago, I'm sure there are aspects of printing calendars that I could use some advice/opinions on, some stuff I probably wouldn't think of on my own. A simple example of a helpful tidbit would be about Borders. With or without?  If you'd suggest a border around the images, should a border be put on the images chosen or should borderless images be put on a bordered calendar?  Is there a difference?  I know I'm not the only one that might not have printed (m)any calendars before so any advice is welcome, including reputable sources to have 10 of them printed in, or shipped to, Canada.

Edited by lonestranger

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:
3 hours ago, lonestranger said:

It's been over a decade since I've had any photo calendars printed and I'm wondering if there's a better method than using Vistaprint, which was one of the better deals back when I had mine done, I think. I have had very few images printed over the years and although I did my research years ago, I'm sure there are aspects of printing calendars that I could use some advice/opinions on, some stuff I probably wouldn't think of on my own. A simple example of a helpful tidbit would be about Borders. With or without?  If you'd suggest a border around the images, should a border be put on the images chosen or should borderless images be put on a bordered calendar?  Is there a difference?  I know I'm not the only one that might not have printed (m)any calendars before so any advice is welcome, including reputable sources to have 10 of them printed in, or shipped to, Canada.

I was going to recommend Vistaprint because they are having their sales on wall calendars right now.  I use them to print business cards and thank you cards and have been happy with them.  The company I use for my art calendars (Gelato) is aimed toward sellers, but you could use it to buy products for yourself.  It's a bit more advanced and you have to design the entire calendar.  BUT the cost is quite a bit less than Vistaprint and they ship wolrdwide.

I'm a little confused by your questions regarding image borders.  Is there a thing called a "bordered calendar"?  Normally, and this is just my opinion, I would not recommend a border around digital images.  But there are some nice designs on Vistaprint that have pretty borders (leaves, etc.).  It's all personal preference, though.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I'm a little confused by your questions regarding image borders

Along with the flower patterns you mention, some borders are just black, or coloured trim that make the image look framed, a few members on the forum post their images bordered/framed that way. That's something fairly simple to do in many photo editors but probably just as easy to do on Vistaprint. Having not used borders last time but considering it this time, I was wondering if the borders butt up to image when ordered that way or if the border lays on top of image obscuring the edge. I'm sure I could figure out a lot of this by visiting the website but thought the discussion might benefit others considering printing calendars, too.

5 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Was there something you weren't particularly happy with on your previous calendars?  I know that photos often print much darker than people expect and that is usually because their monitors are set much too bright.

I was satisfied with my calendar the first/only time I used Vistaprint, being a one time experience for me, I have nothing to compare it to though. It was the first time I'd printed anything so I calibrated my monitor, I edited the photos and made sure to crop them to the same ratio as the printed size while making sure there were enough pixels to cover the 300dpi needed for printing. I did a lot of research at the time, some I still remember, some I have probably gotten confused and/or forgotten so I feel like I'm starting all over again. 

One thing I never really understood was how to deal with the different colour formats for printing and what's used for online viewing, RBG vs CMYK. Can I use Flickr images as they are or do I have to change the colour format for the printing process? Do the photos need to be re-edited to make them look right with the different colour format? Or, does the printing company take care of all that stuff?

Thanks.

I'm no expert, but I make bird calendars each year for friends and family. I think that calendars look better without borders, but it's your calendar, and you should make it the way that you want.

I've never had any problems with colors. I just upload the .jpg photos that I like and the printing company does a good job with it. Of course, I'm a little colorblind, so maybe I just don't notice!

As for where to print, I search around online for good deals on calendars. Depending on the year (and even the week, depending on deals), some sites offer better deals than others. In past years, I've used Shutterfly, Snapfish, Vistaprint, and I think Nations Photo Lab. I liked all of those except Snapfish, which had some white space above/below the photos that I couldn't remove. I haven't made next year's calendar, so I don't know about current deals.

Have fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1