Whatbird Community

not my hawk

Birding Arkansas facebook group... Got this photo. I suggested sharp-shinned or cooper's, and I'm leaning towards sharp-shinned. Had someone commenting maybe it was a kestrel.
Someone asked the person who posted it how big it was. They said big. At least RTHA size. They also said, in response to another comment, they're tool old to be told what they do and don't know, or something.
I wish there was a better angle, I'd be more confident one way or the other. I see paler on the side of the head/neck, but you can't see the back of the neck well, if at all. I THINK I can see it dark back there, but, that's hard to judge for me. Just the size of the head related to the body combined with the shape of the head, loos SSHA to me.
But, I wouldn't mind other thoughts.

image.png.d4354236d0d5fc10d64f00d68aef1e84.png

My impression is Cooper's.  The head looks fairly flat, the eye is well forward, and what we can see of the nape is pale gray.  It's puffed up a bit so the head looks smaller than it is.  But it's perfectly fine to leave it as Sharp-shinned/Cooper's.

2 hours ago, millipede said:

Had someone commenting maybe it was a kestrel.

2 hours ago, millipede said:

They said big. At least RTHA size.

I refuse to look at Facebook birding groups for this reason.  Makes me tense up just thinking about it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3