Whatbird Community

Suet Prices

MJ was shopping online for some suet this morning when she questioned me about the $30+ delivery charge on her $30+ box of suet that she had previously added to her cart earlier this week. Since our Amazon Prime account is in my name and includes free delivery on most items, I told her I'd order it. I typed the name in the search and brought up the exact same product, 20 mixed jumbo suet cakes for $103.77cdn....(pause)... Did your jaw just drop to the floor? Mine did. I was sure there was an error so I started looking at other prices, that was a mistake. I almost puked when I saw a single suet cake priced at $13.95cdn, that works out to $43.59/kg or $26.39/lb., simply ridiculous!!! As much as we complain about the rising cost of food, I guess we should be grateful that suet isn't part of our diet.

https://www.amazon.ca/Armstrong-Royal-Jubilee-Birders-Choice/dp/B0813SWKFJ/ref=mp_s_a_1_20?crid=QV2QWMWJJHRL&keywords=suet&qid=1701519938&sprefix=suet+%2Caps%2C298&sr=8-20

I think I'll shop locally for my suet or consider making my own for the winter, I'm definitely not buying into that ripoff. :classic_angry:

20 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

I see 20 cakes for $30, free overnight...in the U.S.  I can't find that specific one on the U.S. side, but I do see some other ones that are $8 for one suet cake.  Prices do seem all over.  

After a quick search of the nearby Canadian Tire store, I see no reason to pay more than a couple bucks per suet cake when they have individual cakes for as cheap as $1.25 on sale and 3 packs for $6.99 regular price.  $2-$3 per cake seems to be the average amongst their selection, which I think is a fair price.  $5 or more for a suet cake would bring an end to my suet feeding pretty quickly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lonestranger said:

I almost puked when I saw a single suet cake priced at $13.95cdn,

https://www.amazon.ca/CS12507-Peanut-Delight-No-Melt-Dough/dp/B000HHSPCQ?ref_=Oct_d_oup_d_6256955011_3&pd_rd_w=dGYcf&content-id=amzn1.sym.c84288f4-4b2d-4015-8465-034ccec4a085&pf_rd_p=c84288f4-4b2d-4015-8465-034ccec4a085&pf_rd_r=7662CBPKPJ1K3XQ7KQE9&pd_rd_wg=AruDC&pd_rd_r=b50eb46d-6296-4549-9a2b-2aa281651dc2&pd_rd_i=B000HHSPCQ

$10 Canadian;  I pay less than $2 US for the exact same brand at Walmart.  The 8-pack is even cheaper.

I need a mule for my suet smuggling operation; are you interested?

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I think I'll start making my own suet and sell it on Amazon instead of trying to resell your suet, but thanks for considering me as an alternative to you serving jail time all the same. 

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

All distinctly against forum rules, but a small token of your appreciation should be sufficient. Not too much I'm content with being a poor corrupt moderator, shall we say 10%?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

The llamas also get 10% each, right?

Better not, if you let them in on the profits their likely to just take the whole thing over and not let us have anything. 

Kidding aside, the things are smart, too smart.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Better not, if you let them in on the profits their likely to just take the whole thing over and not let us have anything. 

Kidding aside, the things are smart, too smart.

I'm not sure what their diets consist of but I'd be worried about them getting hooked on the suet and mainlining it right to their stomachs long before it reached its destination. :classic_ninja:

21 hours ago, lonestranger said:

I'm not sure what their diets consist of but I'd be worried about them getting hooked on the suet and mainlining it right to their stomachs long before it reached its destination. :classic_ninja:

Squirrelbane the Unstoppable, my terrier mutt, occasionally finds a chunk of suet that bird dropped.  The effects on her digestive output are ... unpleasant.  I'm picturing a llama trying to scoot its rump along the ground.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I'm picturing a llama trying to scoot its rump along the ground.

I'm picturing smugglers swallowing their contraband and collecting it after they reach their destination. An unpleasant visual that only gets worse when you involve llamas and suet.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Birding Boy said:

How do I get involved?

Ummm, I think at this point there is only one option, and that's to do it all yourself. @Kevin can help you aquire the llamas and you can give him his cut. @Charlie Spencer can get you a deal on the suet and you can give him his cut. You can etransfer my cut and your bail money to me in advance, and then the rest is up to you. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by lonestranger
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

Ummm, I think at this point there is only one option, and that's to do it all yourself. @Kevin can help you aquire the llamas and you can give him his cut. @Charlie Spencer can get you a deal on the suet and you can give him his cut. You can etransfer my cut and your bail money to me in advance, and then the rest is up to you. :classic_biggrin:

Your cut? How did you get a cut?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Birding Boy said:

Maybe a mistake opening this thread. What I've gathered is we're using Kevin's llamas to smuggle suet across the Detroit River to Canada? Can they swim? How illegal are we talking?

How do I get involved?

Well, supposedly they can swim but I've never seen it and I don't think they would be very good at it. Also wouldn't the suet dissolve or at least try to sprout or mold? I'd suggest taking up rafting the pack train loaded with highly illegal suet across the river.

• Haha 1

• Kevin changed the title to Llama rafting suet smuggling.
1 minute ago, lonestranger said:

Well, it was my suet rant that started it all so I figure I deserve my fair share. After you, @Charlie Spencer, and @Birding Boy take your 10% each, and I give the llamas their 10%, that only leaves 70% for me. What's wrong with that?

Forgive a homeschooled lad but the way I learned math is different than yours. 

Me=10%

Charlie=10%

Birdingboy=10%

Llama(s)=10%*x       (x=number of Llamas)

That doesn't leave you with 70%.

• Haha 2